Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'

Article about: I saw this helmet for sale...I know that it can be difficult to know if this painted hohenzollern insignia is authentic. That's why I would know the opinion of the more experienced. Thanks i

Default German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'

I saw this helmet for sale...I know that it can be difficult to know if this painted hohenzollern insignia is authentic. That's why I would like to know the opinion of the more experienced. Thanks in advance !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'   German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'  

German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'   German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'  

German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'   German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'  

Attached Images Attached Images German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'  German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps' 
    Last edited by Helmcollector; 10-11-2023 at 06:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M16 with insignia of the Prussian 'Gardekorps'
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I'll defer to Andy as he has more experience with WW1 helmets but the helmet on the whole looks artificially aged.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'll defer to Andy as he has more experience with WW1 helmets but the helmet on the whole looks artificially aged.
    I agree - especially the inside shots - the dome seems reddish rust, yet the skirt is nicely finished in paint patina.
    My vote is a tarted up relic with a chemically aged repro liner...

Agree with MAP and Dan, this is not a good one. Even with the very poor images provided, it looks like the shell is heavily pitted under the paint which is a major red flag. The leather appears to be something perhaps off eBay, but not original period in any way. Regarding the shield, there are very few that are considered to be authentic and this certainly is not one of them.

The interesting thing about this helmet is that it’s a GBN made by Gebrueder Bing A.G., Nuernberg and these helmets, made only in size 64 are considered relatively scarce and are distinguished by their extra long front visor sometimes known as a ducks bill!

It's a pity a rarer shell has been pimped up like this. For me the also apparent "glow" of the shield and the "L" to the rear are red flags. Thanks AndyM35 for the forensic examination.

Asked for a close up of the shield. No answer yet. I will post it IF i get it. Thanks for the replies !