Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heavily Battle Damaged M16

Article about: A recent addition to my collection, this battle damaged M16 helmet is perhaps the most interesting Imperial steel helmet I’ve collected to date. Despite first appearances, this helmet is i

Default Heavily Battle Damaged M16

A recent addition to my collection, this battle damaged M16 helmet is perhaps the most interesting Imperial steel helmet I’ve collected to date. Despite first appearances, this helmet is in fact a Bell L shell manufactured by R. Lindenberg A.G., Remscheid-Hasten. Typical of other examples of Bell L manufactured helmets that I’ve owned, this example has been heavily stamped with the ‘Bell’ stamp visible from the outside. Also, just above the numeral 6 of the first stamp is the faint imprint of another Bell logo, the helmet seemingly double stamped. This example is atypical in that it has regular size 64 stepped vent lugs which is an exception to the usually encountered rounded lugs synonymous with Bell L helmets. This is the 3rd only example I’ve seen in the last 7 years that I’ve been collecting.

Another fascinating feature is the steel band that is stamped in black ink with a FCB meaning that the band was manufactured by F.C. Bellinger, Fulda, whose regular manufacturers stamp is BF. There is also a black inc size stamp as well as AK (for Abnahmekommando) inspection stamp. There is a another letter after the AK that I can’t quite make out. I can only surmise that the BF steel band and unconventional vent lugs were issued due to a shortage of both at either factory…? Also of note is that the front left liner pin is the thicker Bell L type while the opposite one is a more regular flat head type. The left vent lug also has two large gouges which may be a manufacturing fault which is in keeping with this unusual helmet.

The substantial battle damage to the crown very much speaks for itself with damage notable to one of the chrome tanned liner pads while another appears to have been cleanly cut away from the helmet. The heating lot code is not visible and appears to have been lost when the helmet was struck. Additionally, the remains of a label appear in the rear skirt and back of shell suggesting that this example may have been a mail home helmet. Lastly, a straight line of slight discolouration on the front above the peak is indicative of row of stamps or even a chinstrap, although perhaps too thick for the latter.

Another very sobering reminder of the horrendous maelstrom of steel that soldiers were confronted with during the Great War.
    Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16Heavily Battle Damaged M16

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heavily Battle Damaged M16
    P
    Many

Wow what a headache

Cool find that tells a story.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

A nice unique specimen Andy.

That is a pretty significant shrapnel damage. I always hope that helmets like these were not worn when they were damaged.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Wow what a headache

Cool find that tells a story.

Regards Larry
    Thanks Larry, for the comment.

Quote by MAP View Post
    A nice unique specimen Andy.

That is a pretty significant shrapnel damage. I always hope that helmets like these were not worn when they were damaged.
    Thanks Michael! I feel the same way.

An amazing example and explanation.
    Thanks Andy.
    Regards
    Santi

Thank you SantI!