Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 with post war history

Article about: While I’d read about WW1 German Helmets being used for various purposes after the end of the Great War and seen the old advertisements, I’d never come across one for sale, so decided to

Default M16 with post war history

While I’d read about WW1 German Helmets being used for various purposes after the end of the Great War and seen the old advertisements, I’d never come across one for sale, so decided to snap this one up as it was a bit of curiosity that may have been used as a coal scuttle or flower pot. It’s a large shell and and could even be a 68 when compared with other examples, however the manufacturers stamp can’t be read. An interesting thing about this one is that the rear liner pin and the front left vent lug are not positioned correctly but are the only holes for each pin. Perhaps someone had had a long lunch in the beer hall!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 with post war history   M16 with post war history  

M16 with post war history   M16 with post war history  

M16 with post war history   M16 with post war history  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 with post war history
    P
    Many

Hello Andy.
    I, too, had heard of that helmet recycling, but had never seen an example. It's really interesting.
    As always well photographed.

Regards
    Santi

?

Fantastic! Certainly has the look of a coal scuttle with that heavy wire handle.
    Great find.
    Last edited by AndyM35; 12-08-2022 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Accidentally clicked on edit rather than reply..

Friend Andy, with you in terms of WWI German helmets I tell you as in this old postkarte: It fits!

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Hello Andy.
    I, too, had heard of that helmet recycling, but had never seen an example. It's really interesting.
    As always well photographed.

Regards
    Santi
    Hi Santi,

Thanks for the comments. I actually found this one quite challenging to photograph as the paint is so dark and it was quite bright here all day.

I have seen photos of the original posters for the Australian War Memorial Museum sales of helmets as pot plants or coal scuttles. I think this was in the 20’s. They also advertised camo helmets for sale, however, this example came from the US. I’m surprised we don’t see more but I think thereason might be that the acidic nature of coal and soils may have rusted out the bottom of many of them and they were thrown away a long time ago unfortunately.

Andy

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Fantastic! Certainly has the look of a coal scuttle with that heavy wire handle.
    Great find.
    Yes, I think so too! No holes for water to drain out and the legs for sitting - perhaps beside the fire place!?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Friend Andy, with you in terms of WWI German helmets I tell you as in this old postkarte: It fits!

Thank you SantI I must admit that I do find the WW1 helmets quite fascinating. I think this is because I learned more about WW1 in school than WW2, and they do have a very iconic and slightly medieval look to them

Nice one Andy - i've not seen them like this. I've seen chamber pots, flower pots and colanders though.

I think a coal scuttle for a small fireplace. Cool item

Hello ! In the sixties in Alsace, many helmets were used like flower pots. It was possible to have them, but in white paint. I have some of this time, souvenirs...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Hello ! In the sixties in Alsace, many helmets were used like flower pots. It was possible to have them, but in white paint. I have some of this time, souvenirs...
    Interesting about the white paint as I can see some white paint under the dark paint.

- - ------- - -

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Nice one Andy - i've not seen them like this. I've seen chamber pots, flower pots and colanders though.

I think a coal scuttle for a small fireplace. Cool item
    Thanks Nick!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast