Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 Square Dip Helmet

Article about: M16 Square Dip Helmet This week added I a helmet that has been somewhat of a holy grail item since I began collecting. A kind tip-off from a fellow collector and friend led me to this exampl

Default M16 Square Dip Helmet

M16 Square Dip Helmet

This week added I a helmet that has been somewhat of a holy grail item since I began collecting. A kind tip-off from a fellow collector and friend led me to this example of a very rare first pattern M16 helmet known to collectors as the Square Dip. In a somewhat relic condition, it is complete aside from the chinstrap and was said to have been picked up in Belleau Wood, some time in the 1920’s, so may have sat for some years on the site of the Battle of Belleau Wood, fought over June of 1918.

The manufacturers stamp on this example is not visible but judging by the vent lugs, appears to be a size 62. Of note, the high standard of crimping of the underside of the shell not seen in later mass produced WW1 helmets. The chinstrap lugs also appear to have a very fine and sharp point. Also evident, a small shrapnel strike to the left hand side of the shell with a large radius percussion crack over the dome and down left rear side. Just visible and painted in black on the front of the helmet is “Belleau Wood”, “Chateau Thierry” and “Somme”. The liner band and pads are complete as is the leather liner band complete with its very finely executed stitching.

Around 30,000 of these helmets (in sizes 60-68) were produced by Eisenhuttenwerke of Thale, and thus all bear the stamp ET. They were field tested by Storm-Battalion Nr5 Rohr in late December 1915 with the initial 30,000 lot of helmets issued by the end of January 1916. It’s interesting that they were not designated the M15, but I assume it was because they were an “unofficial production helmet” until testing was complete. These helmets can rightly lay claim to being the very first of the mass produced German Steel helmet of the 20th Century.

However, the sharp downward bend from the front visor to rear of the helmet proved problematic in design with many helmets being said to be prone to stress cracking in that particular area. In fact, Ludwig Baer states that all examples studied when writing his book “The German Steel Helmet - 1916-1918, showed cracking to the area where the side transition is located. Thus production was ceased and the new helmet was produced with a much gentler transition going forward in early 1916. Due to such a small production period and many examples potentially having being destroyed, they are now very rare, however it is evident that they were used up until the end of WW1, as “1918 Directive” period camo examples are still encountered today.

Andy
    M16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip Helmet
    M16 Square Dip HelmetM16 Square Dip Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Square Dip Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Great helmet Andy. Know this has been a wish list item for you. Semi relic or not, this one has lots of history to it. Congrats.

Thanks for the great photos and detailed write up.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Fantastic work, Andy!
    Well done for securing this remarkable piece of history for your collection.
    Your images are so clean, crisp and evocative - One of the nicest and most pleasing posts I’ve seen on here.
    Fabulous. Congratulations, mate!
    All the best,
    Rob.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Fantastic work, Andy!
    Well done for securing this remarkable piece of history for your collection.
    Your images are so clean, crisp and evocative - One of the nicest and most pleasing posts I’ve seen on here.
    Fabulous. Congratulations, mate!
    All the best,
    Rob.
    Thank you very much for the kind comments Rob! Much appreciated

While I’d love a nicer example, this one is pretty solid and has a lot of history, so I’m more than happy with it considering the scarcity of these. I was very lucky that a collector friend who has two of these (yes 2!!) in feldgrau and camo, sent me a message which luckily happened to reach me at 4.30am when I happened to have woken up early…..Also, lucky that the seller described it simply as a relic M16!

Thanks again!
    Andy

Great add to you’re collection Andy. This one is on my bucket list also. Enjoy the helmet !

Well done Andy - really great to add this rare helmet to your collection
    Congrats

nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Well done Andy - really great to add this rare helmet to your collection
    Congrats

nick
    Thanks Nick! Good to see you here

A superb helmet. The provenance and relic state make this helmet even more appealing IMO.

Congrats

Cheers,

Paul

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    A superb helmet. The provenance and relic state make this helmet even more appealing IMO.

Congrats

Cheers,

Paul
    Thanks Paul! I was lucky that a friend told me about this example. They would have bought it themselves but already had two (one a camo example), so they let me know about it. Also, the seller simply listed it as “early M16” which may have been a reference to the leather liner band? Nevertheless, no one else seemed to see it anything more than an old relic and I was able to grab it. I’ve never seen an example of one with cracking near the front visor area but assume these were among those destroyed.

Andy