Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion

Article about: hello, I've had some very good informative opinions concerning a couple of my ww1 german stahl helmets. So I decide to post an other one. The number in the dome is R122 . Manufacturer ET, si

Default M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion

hello, I've had some very good informative opinions concerning a couple of my ww1 german stahl helmets. So I decide to post an other one. The number in the dome is R122 . Manufacturer ET, size 66. This stamp is clear, but strangly difficult to read on the picture. Thanks in advance !Erwin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion   M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion  

M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion   M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion
    P
    Many

Hi Erwin,

From what I can see, this looks like a nice original example. The paint has a nice patina but little damage and most of the wear and discolouration on the shell may be down to how it has been stored post war. Perhaps not used heavily at the front line but certainly worn due to the discolouration of the leather liner pads.

I’d be interested to see some closeups of the all of the liner pins, including the rear one and the chinstrap attachments as one has a brass look. These were variously made from brass, steel or zinc with some of the brass examples being repurposed directly from pickelhuubes as may be the case with this one.

The R in the top of the dome denotes the steel as being milled at Stahlwerk Röchling,Volkingen. Incidentally, it has been observed that the steel for a lot of ET manufactured shells was from Rochling. The leather liner band is in nice condition as are the pads. Are the pads still filled?

Overall a very nice example!

Andy

It’s a nice original helmet Erwin. Andy’s observations are well detailed, I have nothing further to add. Well done. Chris.

MAP
    ?

Looks really nice.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks a lot for your replies ! two pockets filled with horsehair, one (the paler one, is filled with 'soft substance' but not enthousiastic to open it).
    So I suppose one pocket has been replaced or is a reproduction. The rivet near the stitches of the leather band is on the rear of the helmet. One picture of one of the front rivets is of bad quality but I can send another one....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion   M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion  

Thanks for the additional photos. The chinstrap end is the brass M91 style as used on Pickelhaubes but the above example may have been produced after the introduction of the steel helmet. Later in the war as the brass became more precious it was passed out in favour of the other materials. I think it was the front left pin that had a quite a light green paint on it and that would be interesting to see too - and the corresponding pin legs inside th shell. Overall it all looks pretty standard inside.

Thanks a lot for this interesting information. I hope the pictures you see here are what you wanted to see in detail. First pictures : attachment of the left chinstrap in and outside the shell. Then the left frontal pinhead and pinleggs. Of course left in the position of who wears the helmet. Thanks again in advance ! Erwin

A very nice one. Well done.

Cheers Paul

Very nice picture with your profile, Paul You don't have to mention the pagenumber in the Kamasutra when you meet someone...

Thanks again for the additional photos Erwin. It’s been an interesting helmet to study. As I said at the start, it’s in great condition and most of the wear etc looks to be perhaps more down more to storage as the outside paint, liner pins, leather band etc are all in great condition with minimal wear other than patina and the effects of years of storage. I especially appreciate the photo below of the inside of the dome as it shows an example of the original field grey colour as it was when these left the factory. Most helmets have darkened with age, being handled or how/where they have been stored over the years, of course not forgetting that each the factories had their own interpretation of filed grey which differed slightly to each other.

There should also be a heat lot code stamped on the inside of the dome and this will give and idea as to where the steel for the shell was milled.

Congratulations on owning this great helmet!
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm : your opinion  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast