Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M17 AW64 Austro-Hungary 1917

Article about: I've recently come across this M17 helmet, it is in very good conditions, it has acceptance stamp and other stamps. Behind the pads is marked 1917 in a very similar way as many other helmets

Default M17 AW64 Austro-Hungary 1917

I've recently come across this M17 helmet, it is in very good conditions, it has acceptance stamp and other stamps.
    Behind the pads is marked 1917 in a very similar way as many other helmets seen in several forums.

I looks quite good but your point of view could help to see something I have missed

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 AW64 Austro-Hungary 1917
    P
    Many

Not my area of study as I collect WW1 German Helmets, however it looks like a very nice and original helmet with period paint etc. The manufacturer is A. Westen Cilli who produced shells in size 64 only.
    Hopefully there will be some Austrian helmet experts along shortly to assist.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Not my area of study as I collect WW1 German Helmets, however it looks like a very nice and original helmet with period paint etc. The manufacturer is A. Westen Cilli who produced shells in size 64 only.
    Hopefully there will be some Austrian helmet experts along shortly to assist.

Hello Andy and thank you for your answer!
    It looks good to me too, on GHW another member warned me about some characteristics that are not so linear between the AW producer and the liner/chinstrap.
    Personally I liked it, that's why I was interested to it as a representative of an Austro-Hungarian helmet in good conditions

Sorry for this late reaction, but some time ago I posted an M17 helmet with hohenzollern shield and recently an Austro-hongarian M17 helmet for evalution (not in my posession but for sale). Everything on the hohenzollern helmet was bad and one of the points was that the tips of the legs of the rivets were round instead of angular. And indeed, also the legs of the Austro-hongarian helmet I posted has rivets with tips with angular legs. On the contrary
    this one here has the round tips. So If I understand well, only Austro-hongarian M17 helmets can have both : round or angular ?
    M17 with painted hohenzollern

Hello Helmcollector,
    German helmet could have square edged and also "semi-squared" edged rivets. I mean those kind of rivets with not proper square nor round edges. You can find a complete foto reference on Germen Helmet Wallhalla: German stahlhelm liner pins

Thanks for your reaction. I will need to sign up but seems also an interesting forum. The same with those autro-hongarian ones ?

?

Hello Stationmaster,

I think the helmet is original. The colour, lining and chin strap look good and match an Austrian M17. The stamps and the helmet shell also look good. The size 64 is also correct for the manufacturer AW.

I have no complaints. All in all a very nice piece in a great state of preservation.

Personally I would say get him if you like him. It would definitely look good in a collection.

Best regards
    Wolf

Quote by Helmcollector View Post
    Thanks for your reaction. I will need to sign up but seems also an interesting forum. The same with those autro-hongarian ones ?
    Hi, Austro-Hungarian helmets had also rounded edges rivets as in the AW I published.

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Hello Stationmaster,

I think the helmet is original. The colour, lining and chin strap look good and match an Austrian M17. The stamps and the helmet shell also look good. The size 64 is also correct for the manufacturer AW.

I have no complaints. All in all a very nice piece in a great state of preservation.

Personally I would say get him if you like him. It would definitely look good in a collection.

Best regards
    Wolf
    Thank you for your reply, I had many reactions on this helmet, many said there are original pieces, reassembled. I don't knlw what to think! Btw I bought it but the seller send it to another person who probably paid it outside the online platform to avoid fees. Luckly the website refunded me

Can these rivet legs fit in an original M17 ? Just looking at the rivets...This looks to me as semi-quared...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 AW64 Austro-Hungary 1917  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast