Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!

Article about: Hey guys, This one has been sitting around for a long time and I really wanted to show you all this one. I honestly can't remember where I bought it, but I still get kind of shocked when I l

Default M16 Austrian/German Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!

Hey guys,

This one has been sitting around for a long time and I really wanted to show you all this one. I honestly can't remember where I bought it, but I still get kind of shocked when I look at this.

Thanks to Andy, I now know this was an Austrian M16 shell reissued to the German Army that has brush applied snow camo. When I saw it in pictures, I remember not being sure if the camo was good, but the moment I had it in hand I was like jeeze, this is solid. It has a 1940 dated rotten liner and a broken unmarked chinstrap.

Overall, just an interesting helmet, I wish that I could know the story behind it.

Please bear with me if I posted this in the right section of the forums. I hope I did!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!   M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!  

M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!   M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!  

M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!   M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!  

Last edited by IHaveTrueGrit; 05-15-2024 at 02:22 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17? Winter/Snow Camo Transitional Helmet!
    P
    Many

It’s an Austrian M16 shell manufactured by Berndorfer Metal-Warenfabrik A Krupp AG in Berndorf, Austria in size 64 reissued to the German army in the early stages of WW2. May have been issued as a single decal but can’t see any signs of a decal under the paint on the left hand side. The paint looks period and totally believe-able in my opinion. Rare to see a snow camo like this as most were painted over as the seasons changed. A great example and a nice one to have in the collection!

Andy

Thank you so much Andy for that information! I don't know as much about WW1 era helmets as I do WW2. You're awesome, and thank you so much for your kind words!

MAP
    ?

I agree, the paint looks period applied. A few odd tool mark like scratches but I think they are legit.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP!

Just to add, it would probably be more correct to refer to the shell as an M17 as that is how they appear to be termed when talking about Austrian manufactured shells. In WW1 Germany only made M16 and M18 shells with the leather liner of the M16 shell being replaced by the steel M17 liner band in 1917 but still using the M16 side lugs for mounting the chinstrap. The M18 having a different liner mounting system and minus the rivet low down on the side. So, when talking about German shells, M16 and M18 are more precise whereas M17 appears to be more a collectors term. I’m not a collector of Austrian helmets, however I believe M17 to be the more accepted terminology when talking about this example due the steel band and fact they were produced from 1917 onwards even though they have a side rivet like the German M16 shell.

Andy