Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M18 ear cutout repainted.

Article about: Hi everyone, I would like your thoughts on this helmet. It looks like it was repainted post war and comes out of the estate of an old collector who past away. He liked to make his helmets lo

Default M18 ear cutout repainted.

Hi everyone,

I would like your thoughts on this helmet. It looks like it was repainted post war and comes out of the estate of an old collector who past away. He liked to make his helmets look nice and some of repainted them. Same guy who painted the inside mimikri M16 helmet I posted last week. This happened in the sixties and seventies. A shame of course. I think the helmet is an original. The ET64 stamping is covered in the paint - I hope.

I was wondering if the liner and chinstrap were original. The chinstrap looks good to me, but I question the liner.

Again, what do you think.

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 ear cutout repainted.
    P
    Many

I think the liner is probably good. The shell is definitely good but most certainly was repainted post Great War. These are pretty rare so at the right price it would be a good addition from my perspective. Jim G.

A very nice one to own, even when it has been repainted. Having the correct liner is a big bonus. Please don’t be tempted to strip the paint back on this helm.

Hi Paul,

A shame that this one was painted over as I can see some tantalising areas of what looks like field grey under the repaint. Can you see a heat lot code stamped into the dome? The chinstrap looks good.

Based on the photos the pads do look to be OK, but bare in mind that by 1918 the vast majority of pads being installed were white chrome tanned leather as came into service with the steel liner band. While helmets with M17 steel bands are sometimes still found with brown leather, ECO’s with brown tanned leather are a lot less encountered pointing to these perhaps being added post war. If so, perhaps fitted after 1918. Is there any of the post war paint on the underside of the leather?

An iconic helmet and great one to have in the collection.

Andy

It could be Reichswehr. And I'm still tempted to remove the paint. I'm seeing some original paint peeping out from under the post-war paint. I'm negotiating with the seller and keep you posted.

Cheers Paul