MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

Article about: Hello everyone, I got this one a while ago for € 450,- It's in a very nice condition, and I'm pretty sure that it's a German M16 and not an Austrian M16. But the rivets for the chinstrap are

Default My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

Hello everyone,

I got this one a while ago for € 450,-
    It's in a very nice condition, and I'm pretty sure that it's a German M16 and not an Austrian M16.
    But the rivets for the chinstrap are a bit higher than they are on most German M16/M17's that I've seen. I've only found a few images of German M16/M17's with the same kind of rivets,
    so any more information would greatly appreciated!

Sadly, as you can see, the inside paint is scratched away at the bottom of the helmet.
    The seller is a very nice guy, but when I asked him "are there any markings visible?'' he apparently took it as ''show the markings''. (The factory mark is unreadable, any idea on what factory produced this helmet?)
    I did get a € 100,- off of the original price, but I still would've rather paid that extra € 100,- and have the helmet unmessed with.
    Do any of you have a similar story like this?

I was also wondering why WW1 Stahlhelms used a different rivets on the back? (Mine obviously doesn't have this, a soldier most likely did a field repair).
    I searched it up a bit but couldn't find an answer.

All in all, I'm very happy with this beautiful piece! Despite the destroyed paint on the inside.

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.
    P
    Many

This helmet appears to have been repainted in modern times. They normally did not paint the interior dome...there is no wear around the rim of the helmet, no patina that looks convincing. Better pics might help, but I don't think the paint is period applied. Liner is also questionable. Again I want to stress....only my opinion & member Anderson who is pretty good with these.
    D.
    Last edited by real steel; 07-21-2019 at 12:39 AM.

I agree with David regarding paint which not period and lacks patina. The vent lugs have paint on them and generally this is the first area for wear to occur in the examples I have seen. By the looks of the vent lugs it is a small size - perhaps a 62. It’s a shame you can’t get your money back.

Here are some photos of the interior of one of my M17’s for comparison.

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.  

I agree. I think a fairly recent paint job. I'm seeing thin apparently worn black paint lines, but no underlying paint wear, chips or rust. As David said the lack of wear around the rim and absence of dark rusted steel, and Andy's point about the virtually unworn lugs, all point to a recent paint, not at all what we expect after a century of handling.

Quote by real steel View Post
    This helmet appears to have been repainted in modern times. They normally did not paint the interior dome...there is no wear around the rim of the helmet, no patina that looks convincing. Better pics might help, but I don't think the paint is period applied. Liner is also questionable. Again I want to stress....only my opinion & member Anderson who is pretty good with these.
    D.
    Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I agree with David regarding paint which not period and lacks patina. The vent lugs have paint on them and generally this is the first area for wear to occur in the examples I have seen. By the looks of the vent lugs it is a small size - perhaps a 62. It’s a shame you can’t get your money back.

Here are some photos of the interior of one of my M17’s for comparison.

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.
    Quote by Anderson View Post
    I agree. I think a fairly recent paint job. I'm seeing thin apparently worn black paint lines, but no underlying paint wear, chips or rust. As David said the lack of wear around the rim and absence of dark rusted steel, and Andy's point about the virtually unworn lugs, all point to a recent paint, not at all what we expect after a century of handling.
    Hello everyone thank you for taking your time to respond,
    I don't want to be the forum member to dismiss what the other forum members say because they blindly want to believe that their helmet is real, but all of your concerns have answers.

For one, who said that I cannot get my money back? The seller is a very nice guy, I could send the helmet back whenever I want and get my money back, if I wanted to.
    About the paint on the inside, I've asked about that on this very forum before I bought it and it brought up zero concerns. I've posed the helmet here before purchase and I've been told on this forum that more WW1 helmets have it, and I've done my own research as well, of course.

About the lack of patina, there is a very nice bit of patina on the helmet, it's just kind of hard to catch with my phone's camera.
    And about the overal condition of the helmet, the helmet has made a farmers house his home for many years, until the seller acquired it in the 70's. It's has had almost no handeling because of this.
    About the lugs, I've done my research, and from what I've seen is that the lugs have either all their paint scratched off at the end or have no paint damage at all, you guys obviously have way more experience with these helmets, but that's just from what I have seen.
    Also, why would anybody paint over perfectly fine M16 with a black and green camo? That just makes no sense. It's obviously not a refurbished relic.

I'm really interested in what you people have to say about these paints and I'm waiting on your answers!

" Also, why would anybody paint over perfectly fine M16 with a black and green camo? That just makes no sense. It's obviously not a refurbished relic. "

Well, there are several answers to that question. Most obvious is the value... A Camo helmet is worth more than a plain one.
    Would you have bought this Helmet if it did not have camouflage paint on it ?

Quote by Krakow1 View Post
    " Also, why would anybody paint over perfectly fine M16 with a black and green camo? That just makes no sense. It's obviously not a refurbished relic. "

Well, there are several answers to that question. Most obvious is the value... A Camo helmet is worth more than a plain one.
    Would you have bought this Helmet if it did not have camouflage paint on it ?
    Yes, yes I would've.
    Of course I know that camo helmets go for more than non-camo ones, but why risk it with a green and black camo paint job?
    If the paint job isn't good enough, you've just ruined the helmet for a couple extra pennies, instead of going for the big bucks and giving it a more complicated paint job.

Thank you for taking your time responding,
    What would be your opinion of the helmet and the other points that I've made?

Thanks in advance.

All that I can add is that Real Steel and Anderson know what they are talking about and I respect their opinions.

And as far as the story of being at Farmers house ... farmers usually repurposed items like that. Some made water bowls for livestock ..

As with most camos....if the buyer is happy with it, that's the important thing. We here can only give opinions which is challenging often on a helmet such as this, opining by way of images rather than hands on is difficult. It may in fact be original....maybe not. Again, if you like it...all that matters
    D.

Quote by Krakow1 View Post
    All that I can add is that Real Steel and Anderson know what they are talking about and I respect their opinions.

And as far as the story of being at Farmers house ... farmers usually repurposed items like that. Some made water bowls for livestock ..
    Haha, yes I know that they often reused helmets. Not allot of farmers kept the helmet just to keep as a helmet.
    However, I've seen multiple examples of farmers that did keep them, either because they are vets, for their kids to play soldier with or because they just liked it on their shelf.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast