Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post war re use of german helmet

Article about: Found this photo online Mr Spinks making porters hats, utilising a german helmet as a Copied text "Making Londons queerest hats. In the steep winding alleyway which slopes into Billings

Default Post war re use of german helmet

Found this photo online Mr Spinks making porters hats, utilising a german helmet as a
    Copied text
    "Making Londons queerest hats.
    In the steep winding alleyway which slopes into Billingsgate fish market, and which is known as Love Lane, there is a tiny 250 year old shop in which the man who makes Londons queerest hats carries on his trade, that of making leather hats for the Billingsgate fish porters. Mr Edward Spink, the hatter, traces his descent back to the auguenots and all his ancestors were leather workers. The mould used for making the hats is an old German soldiers helmet, which he captured during war.
    Mr Edward Spink at work in his little shop making the leather hats for Billingsgate fish porters, note the Old German helmet used as a last.
    16 March 1932"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post war re use of german helmet
    P
    Many

A very interesting photo Spotter! Thanks for posting! It would be interesting to know how he came to acquire the helmet. i.e. did he serve in the Great War and bring it home as a trophy perhaps?

After both wars German helmets were repurposed for all sorts of things. Here’s one that I have that may have been a flower pot or perhaps something to keep coal in by the fire!?
    Post war re use of german helmetPost war re use of german helmetPost war re use of german helmet

A German helmet actually being used as a coal scuttle !
    My Dad would tell me that commonplace, post WW2, in residential areas in London, it was quite common to see British Helmets used as flower baskets !
    Paul

MAP
    ?

Quote by spotter View Post
    Found this photo online Mr Spinks making porters hats, utilising a german helmet as a
    Copied text
    "Making Londons queerest hats.
    In the steep winding alleyway which slopes into Billingsgate fish market, and which is known as Love Lane, there is a tiny 250 year old shop in which the man who makes Londons queerest hats carries on his trade, that of making leather hats for the Billingsgate fish porters. Mr Edward Spink, the hatter, traces his descent back to the auguenots and all his ancestors were leather workers. The mould used for making the hats is an old German soldiers helmet, which he captured during war.
    Mr Edward Spink at work in his little shop making the leather hats for Billingsgate fish porters, note the Old German helmet used as a last.
    16 March 1932"

Is that a square dip M16??
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I remember buying an M16 helmet in the early 1960's, and around the circumference was painted a daisy chain which was the right way up when the helmet was upside down. I always thought that maybe it had been used as a hanging basket.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by MAP View Post
    Is that a square dip M16??
    Looks like a regular M16/18 to me Michael, but I think the angle it's on does make the transition look a little steeper. The early examples of Siemen's & Halske steel helmets are sometimes mistaken for square dip helmets, however S&H only made size 60 and this one looks a lot bigger.

Andy