Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions on M18 Helmet

Article about: I've recently come across this M18 helmet, but am somewhat unsure of its paint. I always assumed that WWI German helmets had a smooth surface after painted, expect when it was painted with c

Default Questions on M18 Helmet

I've recently come across this M18 helmet, but am somewhat unsure of its paint.
    I always assumed that WWI German helmets had a smooth surface after painted, expect when it was painted with camouflage. However, this one seems to have a slightly rougher texture, causing me to be somewhat curious about it.
    I don't doubt the authenticity of the helmet, but I am intrigued about its paint. I'm unsure whether this is a WWI German helmet repainted and reissued for used post-WWI, an unaltered WWI helmet, a refurbished for Finnish service, or simply refurbished incorrectly by someone else post war.

Anyway, sorry if this seems too mundane a question, but I really couldn't be sure and wanted some additional insights.
    Thank you.

I have listed the pictures below. Thank you.

Questions on M18 Helmet

Questions on M18 Helmet

Questions on M18 Helmet

Questions on M18 Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions on M18 Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Typo

The more pictures you can post, the better. It looks as though someone has taken some sandpaper to the rear and the surface on the front appears tampered with. Any marks or numbers inside the skirt? Others will be along shortly to advise further. Thank you for posting.

Thank you Blackcat!
    Well, for some unknown reason, the helmet has abrasions and loss of paint on three areas. Possibly sanded off, but I have no clue. I've included the heat numbers and other photos in the following.

Questions on M18 Helmet

Questions on M18 Helmet

Questions on M18 Helmet

My primary question would be its paint. Something which I can’t really pin down or identify with full confidence.

MAP
    ?

Moved to the Imperial forum. It's a better fit.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Following WW1, German helmets were used by a variety of organisations such as the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Polizei, early SS and army etc. Many were repurposed later during WW2 to 1940 specs with a single decal or sometimes no decal. At first glance, the paint on this one resembles the latter two with a dark textured feldgrau paint minus the decal. Hard to tell what the manufacturers stamp says, but based on the vent lugs we know that the shell is at least a size 66 as it is not stepped as seen on the smaller sizes. Hard to say on the heat lot code as well due to the paint.

I do think the paint stands a chance but would like to see more hi res images. Can you see any field grey paint anywhere on the shell, particularly between the bare steel and top layer?

Unfortunately, these seem to be the only photos I have on me right now. Previous correspondence revealed that the helmet size stamps were T66, and the dome stamps to be T15F. I am unsure whether this helps.

The textured paint intrigues me as well. I doubt it was this state in WWI, but wondered at what period and by whom was it reworked or refurbished.

Likely TJ shell manufactured by C. Thiel & Soehne, Luebeck. In WW1 the shell would have originally left the factory in a shade of smooth green filed grey paint like the example below. If not used between the wars, it may have re-entered service later during WW2 in 1940 specs as mentioned above with a dark textured field grey paint. See example below. Keep in mind that there was quite some variety in the shades of paint used by factories during both wars.

Questions on M18 HelmetQuestions on M18 HelmetQuestions on M18 Helmet

Thanks Andy! I’ve see the WWI ones and so was therefore confident that it must have been repainted. Due to the rough texture of the new paint, I think it must have been refurbished between the wars or in WWII.
    I was somewhat worried that it was a repainted relic, although it does seem that I may have been too skeptical.
    I did find the seller telling me he thought the stamps being “T66” being somewhat odd, but the maker mark prior to the 66 was indeed somewhat obscure. I thought that it might be ET66.
    Thanks again,Your post and pictures have been especially helpful! Do share if you have any suggestions!

Quote by Laconic View Post
    Thanks Andy! I’ve see the WWI ones and so was therefore confident that it must have been repainted. Due to the rough texture of the new paint, I think it must have been refurbished between the wars or in WWII.
    I was somewhat worried that it was a repainted relic, although it does seem that I may have been too skeptical.
    I did find the seller telling me he thought the stamps being “T66” being somewhat odd, but the maker mark prior to the 66 was indeed somewhat obscure. I thought that it might be ET66.
    Thanks again,Your post and pictures have been especially helpful! Do share if you have any suggestions!
    I think you can safely say that this helmet is not a repainted relic, as the bare metal shows no sign of rust or pitting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast