Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Questions on M18 Helmet

Article about: I've recently come across this M18 helmet, but am somewhat unsure of its paint. I always assumed that WWI German helmets had a smooth surface after painted, expect when it was painted with c

I think that's what I found reassuring. It seems likely to be scraped off due to bad handling in storage or whatnot. When I was in the army, I did see a few helmets that had been scraped badly that you could see the metal underneath. I'm inching towards buying one for some time, but you just can't be too careful these days. Anyway, it's always nice to have more experienced hands offer their insight. I suppose the paint really threw me off, since I just couldn't pinpoint on what era it belonged to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions on M18 Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by Laconic View Post
    I think that's what I found reassuring. It seems likely to be scraped off due to bad handling in storage or whatnot. When I was in the army, I did see a few helmets that had been scraped badly that you could see the metal underneath. I'm inching towards buying one for some time, but you just can't be too careful these days. Anyway, it's always nice to have more experienced hands offer their insight. I suppose the paint really threw me off, since I just couldn't pinpoint on what era it belonged to.
    I don’t think it was poor handling. Someone has deliberately sanded the paint off in those areas but not sure why. I would not think it would have been someone that knew a lot about helmets as they don’t seem to have sanded in the typical areas such as either side under the vent lugs looking for decals, or over the manufacturers stamp.

You can see some examples of WW1 helmets that were re-used later during W2 in the latter part of this page on Transitional helmets. Transitional helmets was the name given to helmets that were re-furbished for use between the wars, so unless yours had green paint and decals underneath the current paint, it was likely only re-furnished for use late in WW2.

WWI Helmets I - www.german-ww2-helmet.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2