Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Steel banded M16 TJ66 - named to Hettler

Article about: I’ve always sought helmets that have a bit of a story and untouched look, so I was pleased when this sleepy steel banded M16 helmet recently arrived. The shell is a size 66 pressed by TJ -

Default Steel banded M16 TJ66 - named to Hettler

I’ve always sought helmets that have a bit of a story and untouched look, so I was pleased when this sleepy steel banded M16 helmet recently arrived. The shell is a size 66 pressed by TJ - C.Thiel & Soehne, Luebeck who only made size 66 & 68 shells. Named to ‘Hettler’ , 5 Kompanie, this example was allegedly picked up on the Somme, with the area Sailly Le Sec inscribed in ink in the front pad.

To the front left side of the dome is a large shrapnel strike with a small one on the dome. The pads are all there, albeit fragile and mostly devoid of their filling. The paint on the shell has taken on interesting patina and is now a variety of shades of field grey, most likely due to storage and time.
    Steel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to HettlerSteel banded M16 TJ66 - named to Hettler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Steel banded M16 TJ66 - named to Hettler
    P
    Many

No guarantee of any connection, but a Julius Hettler was listed as killed on 24.08.1916 at Delville Wood, Longueval. Buried at Fricourt.

A helmet with history for sure.

MAP
    ?

Very nice Andy. I like it!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    No guarantee of any connection, but a Julius Hettler was listed as killed on 24.08.1916 at Delville Wood, Longueval. Buried at Fricourt.

A helmet with history for sure.
    Thanks BlackCat! From what I know, Hettler is not such a common German family name. However, the helmet having an M17 steel band rather than a leather M16 band, points to this not being our man unfortunately.

Andy

- - ------- - -

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice Andy. I like it!
    Thanks Michael.

Sadly I have not been able to pin down any wounded or missing/killed named Hettler who fit into the 5th Kompanie. Julius was the only one that fitted into the date and approximate location. I still like this helmet, the history speaks as loudly now as it did over 100 years ago.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Sadly I have not been able to pin down any wounded or missing/killed named Hettler who fit into the 5th Kompanie. Julius was the only one that fitted into the date and approximate location. I still like this helmet, the history speaks as loudly now as it did over 100 years ago.
    Thank you for looking! It defiantly looks like Hetter in the rear skirt but perhaps that’s not right. I might play with the photos to see if I can bring out the lettering a little. The Germans were there again in 1918 as Sailly Le Sec was said to be the furthest are on the Northern bank of the Somme that the Germans reached in Spring 1918, so it may date to that period.