Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.

Article about: Hello I would like someones opinion on this Pickelhaube, is it authentic?

Default 1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.

Hello I would like someones opinion on this Pickelhaube, is it authentic?

1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal. 1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1915 Imperial Pickelhaube. Is it the real deal.
    P
    Many

Ignore the second picture, I was looking for a Shell to maybe restore.

MAP
    ?

Haub's have so many different variations, so I'm still learning.

Original shell. The Brass hardware indicates its a model 1895 (produced up till wartime when they switched to steel fittings). I can't make out the date on the stamp.

Strap is a repo and it is missing both Cockades. Front visor might have been restitched but can't be sure. I see extra holes on the interior, assuming they are where the rear spine is. So not sure if the spine was replaced but looks like it as it is not brass but war time steel. When this was done, I don't know. But . The split pins for the spine look to have been bent and rebent a few times.

Here is a great link. Read through it as it provides lots of info.

Kaiser's Bunker
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think the stamp says Julius Jensen - Strasbourg - 1915

MAP
    ?

It was in 1915 that the switch to Steel fittings took place. Possibly this was produced just before the switch.

Overall (and best wait for others), it is an original haub that has either been restored or period repaired. But it is still missing the Corkades (originals can be found and purchased) and has a poor quality repro strap. Original straps are extremely difficult to find but there are some good repro's out their.

Please read through that link I sent you

Here are two excerpts that may be of interest

This is the 1915 Haub German Pickelhaube Spiked Helmet Evolution Guide

And this is the model 1895 German Pickelhaube Spiked Helmet Evolution Guide

Lastly, I have not spent much time looking at the wappen but first glance it looks OK

Again...Lets wait for others.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you, I will read the links that you have sent. I really appreciate the help.

Is the condition okay?, I cant seem to find any red rot or dry rot on the liner. Is it worth getting a Pickelhaube, I know they are very fragile and can rot if not stored proper. That is something that scares me the most.

MAP
    ?

For being 136 years old it is fine. But photos will only tell so much.

Plus the editing of the photo to remove the background is quite annoying as it in some cases overlaps the shell. Not sure why that was done.

It is certainly not mint but leather still looks solid, liner is all there. heavy crazing to the exterior lacquer but that is not uncommon.

I will add that I missed something. Although I noted that the front brim might have been restitched, I also just noticed that the metal trim and rivets look to be steel and not brass from these photos.

I think this helmet is restored with a mix and match of original parts from different periods.

I myself don't have an issues with some conservation repairs or even replacing lost parts with period originals (all at a discounted price) but this is one I would pass on as the parts are from different periods. But it's your call.

Again, I'm happy to stand corrected on any or all of my views as I still am learning this as well.

Its been built up from parts. Side posts for cockade are white metal - as is the rear spine and the trim around the peak. So you have assume that the wappen and spike are replacements. Give it a miss and look for one that is totally original.

Cheers,
    Steve

I agree it might just be better save a bit more for a Pricier version, this pickelhaube was priced at the 300 range which Is okay. But knowing the helmet is mixed with parts is very off putting.Thank you very much for the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast