Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian M-95

Article about: This appears to be a Austro- Hungarian hat badge mounted on a standard Austrian M-95 bayonet. marked K.U.K. J.R. 90. There appears to be some disagreement by the more knowledgeable on its au

Default Austrian M-95

This appears to be a Austro- Hungarian hat badge mounted on a standard Austrian M-95 bayonet. marked K.U.K. J.R. 90. There appears to be some disagreement by the more knowledgeable on its authenticity. Has any one ever seen something like this ? The 90th appears to have fought in Galicia in WWI and was composed mostly of Polish soldiers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M-95  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austrian M-95
    P
    Many

?

First question would be found the cap emblem as single item, as some people dont believe its real. With the polish background and german language its for me real one. The only possibility it could be a repro piece, but similar would be made in quantity for market, any other avialable??
    Second question is how is the price on that complet?? how increased the emblem the price to compare normal M95 late war bayonet?

Andy thought I would try another website to see if anyone had seen this before. Spent two hours looking on net but haven't found another cap emblem that looks anything like this. Was it you that mentioned that the Hanaken refers to one of the 90th's. Czech commanders? Regiment is not well known and that's pretty obscure for someone to fake. However I am a little concerned with the lack of discoloration/corrosion around the piece. There is a mark up on this piece of probably around 30 US from what a good quality M-95 sells for on this side of the pond so not a fortune so I will probably buy it. Thanks for your input I know you are probably the most experienced with these. I own two M-95, one Hungarian and my father in-laws mounted in a Czech scabbard. He was based in Bratislava on the arrival of the Germans and took it and the rifle home to Prague. The rifle ended up in the river just before the Gestapo arrived. Fun Times!

?

As mentioned the Hanak was a commander of the unit IR90 since 1916, Hanaken means in german, soldiers called on their commander, but similar items were ordered per commander of unit, so it could be so. I dont saw similar badge prior this, which is 99% is real, not faked or reproduced. The overall condition is normal there. Unit is not well known as is not clear how continued the tradition of this unit in Poland, as since 1919 it was in area of Poland. Similar bayonets are priced only in Austria with austrian units badges, in similar case would be the price moderate about 100/120€ max. About corossion there is not any as the badge is made by alloy which doesnt rust. I personally would buy the piece when is in that range, certainly not when the badge should increase the price to 250/300 €.
    90 Pułk Piechoty (austro-węgierski) – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
    It would be nice to see the other M95, anyway the story of czech that bring back the M95 piece in 1939, that was already non service item i assume, as since 1924 they were equiped with Vz24 rifles. M95 were declared as obsolete already and withdrawn from service since 1925/6.

Hi Andy, Price is about 220 Euros not counting tax and shipping. A M95 usually goes for about 170/180 euros a Chilean much less. They are no longer common this side of the pond. On subject of my father in-laws bayonet this was found with some of his personal effects in Prague. He passed away here in Canada about 5 years ago and had left Czechoslovakia in 1947. He was an officer in a regiment (A.A. I think) in Bratislava demobilized with the coming of the Germans. He fought on the barricades during the 1945 uprising against the Germans in Prague. The bayonet seems to be a typical Austrian produced M-95 NCO bayonet. The scabbard/frog appears to be CZECH made from a much later date and is marked S-9 indicating Bratislava. To be honest I do not know for sure if this was part of the rifle's kit or something he picked up in '45. He was very pissed that his parents threw the rifle in the river and told me it should have gone to the resistance. See what you can make of it. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M-95  

?

220 is really high for a unknown (polish) not austrian territory unit, most real could be interesting for polish collectors, 170-180 are prices for excellent austrian pieces in Austria mainly, the real price on shows is around 110/120 here in middle Europe.
    The bayonet from Your family, was most real used as a NCO out of service, even the scabbard is marked to inventory of Bratislava division, the frog is for walking out, and possible the bayonet was polished, is there any marking on the bayonet on pommel? or anywhere?. It looks like normal Steyr war time production piece. The scabbard was already a CS Zbrojovka Brno production. In what unit served he, Anti Aircraft?

Hi Andy, On subject of price, Austrian M-95 bayonets are not very common in Canada so of course this affects the price. The Hungarian and export versions sell quite cheaply and are more common. We have lots of 1907s, K98s, and Ross bayonets. The Canadians fought on the Western Front WWI so the bayonets reflect that. Shipping costs make bringing in from Europe quite expensive. On subject of father in-laws bayonet. I spent some time in his mother's diary about this time period. He arrived home with all his kit including a rifle. I think he said that the regiment was Anti-aircraft but will try to find out. I have a picture of him in Uniform with a distinctive hat badge and will send it to the uniform thread. There was quite a bit of information there about the '45 uprising and he was involved in the fighting at the Skoda works, main Post office and an alley off Venceslav's square. I couldn't get much out of him like a lot of people involved in horrors like this. The bayonet itself hasn't been polished that is me using a flash. However the pommel and hilt have both been plated. There are no other than the usual OE-WG and Eagle stamp on the ricasso. I think you are right that it is a standard Steyr bayonet and was a walking out bayonet. According to the diary there is a picture of him "gun in hand" at the alley near Venceslav's square. If I can find it I will see if he has a bayonet.

?

Nice story, when You bring the bayonet from Europe so its certainly expensive mainly by airshipping and possible custom taxes, the bayonet presented from Your father of law itself is when plated as mentioned a walking out so brought out from service, it was his personal item. Possible too the scabbard was polished as normally it should be blued and khaki or green painted teoretically. Here on the frog hook looks like remains of nickel plating. Normally it woried this NCOs not Officers, and would be not proper for a Officer, but maybe he got officer rank later, there was around west Slovakia Anti Aircraft Regiment 153, which was with one part located near Bratislava. This could be a possible unit for him. Officers used sabres Vz24 for walking out and dont have rifles but pistols.