Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre

Article about: Hello folks! I'm rather new to edged weapons collecting and I'm possibly considering purchasing this sabre, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before I give the seller an offer (the seller i

Default Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre

Hello folks!

I'm rather new to edged weapons collecting and I'm possibly considering purchasing this sabre, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before I give the seller an offer (the seller is based in Poland). My main concern is whether this piece is authentic. Are the etchings on the blade. genuine, and is the maker mark accurate and untampered with? Anything standing out about the sheath? Anything off about the Wilhelm II effigy on the handle? Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if some of the pictures are a little bit blurry, as these are all the photos the seller has provided me.

Regards,
    Schutzstaffel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre   Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre  

Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre   Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre  

Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre   Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentication for M1889 Prussian Sabre
    P
    Many

?

Sword looks period but from the pictures it looks as if the leather handle has been renewed plus the sword itself has been cleaned up removing the gilding etc.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Not the blade I would expect in an Imperial M1889, and the Eickhorn trade make is one used in 1930-31. Something a bit odd about the scabbard too. I would ask for good full length photo of the etchings. My feeling is this is a parts sword.

Having a second look at the blade, I would say it's a non Eickhorn blade. The etching decorative features are not typical Eickhorn and the lettering not well done. I suspect only the hilt has any chance of being authentic, the rest appears to be reproduction parts. One sword I would avoid.

I think that Anderson is on the right track. In fact for some reason I almost get an East Asian (China) sense of where at least parts of it could have been manufactured. In any event the contents of my wallet would still as intact as they were before I ever saw this sword. Best Regards, Fred