Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword

Article about: Greetings, I'd appreciate some information about this sword I bought recently. There are no manufacturer's or inspection markings anywhere although the blade is engraved with some symbols wh

Default Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword

Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword

Greetings, I'd appreciate some information about this sword I bought recently. There are no manufacturer's or inspection markings anywhere although the blade is engraved with some symbols which might help identifying its origins.
    The engraving is rather worn down so it's hard to make out small details but the symbol appears to be a crown with a cross patée over two eagles. The smaller eagle appears to be holding a shield divided into 4 parts. The blade is 84 cm long and overall length is 97 cm. Both the hilt and scabbard are chrome-plated.

Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword
    P
    Many

?

The crest should be visible on blade, unfortunally not the best photos here, i assume its a Artillery Prussian Officer or NCO sabre. Could be there is already a later version of crest. I believe there is a Hohenzollern eagle on the blade, so possible the piece was by a Garde unit.

Thanks Andy, that seems to be a Hohenzollern shield now that you mention it, so the crest must be the coat of arms of the German Empire. I've tried to take some better pics but as I've mentioned the blade and etching isn't in the best condition so most of the detail is gone.

Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword Help identifying Austrian or possibly German sword