Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M98 butcher sawback

Article about: Hello, I bought this supposed m98 sawback bayonet which is marked: R.Stock & Co. Berlin Marienfelde and 1917. The bayonet looks fine and unmessed with to me but I don’t have enough kno

I think you did very well picking this one up anon! Something I would be more than happy to have in my collection due to its “barn find” condition. The patina on this example indicates quite clearly that both items have been together for many years. Whether they were originally today when issued is impossible to say. I’d like to see more examples of scabbards for Sawback bayonets, I’ve looked at many over the last few days only nearly all appeared to have a standard scabbard as does the one in a similar post being discussed in this section.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M98 butcher sawback
    P
    Many

?

Yes important is that You are satisfied with, certainly its a untouched bayonet, not sharpened or repaired by collectors.
    About the widened area of hole for sawback spine on mouth piece of scabbard, i already observed it 30 years ago on my S98/05aASabg, where the sawback was removed in 1917/8, the piece was reused by polish soldiers and equiped with new grips, but the opened area in scabbard mouth remained from sawback. I dont have exact picture of the area, but is similar as presented here from internet on the leather body scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M98 butcher sawback  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3