Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Markings on a German 98 bayonet

Article about: Hi all folks I just got my hands on a WW1 "butcher knife" bayonet anufactured by Fichtel & Sachs. I am super happy with the blade, apart for some minor traces of rush, its in g

Default Markings on a German 98 bayonet

Hi all folks

I just got my hands on a WW1 "butcher knife" bayonet anufactured by Fichtel & Sachs.

I am super happy with the blade, apart for some minor traces of rush, its in great nick and feels very solid and sturdy, so super happy with my purchase.

I am definitely not an expert of markings on german blades, so I was hoping someone here migth be able to help me with the markings I see on this one.

First things first, reading around I was expecting to find the year of manufacture stamped on the back of the blade, but while there is the "£" under the little crown, there is no sign of a number under there (please see picture) - would there be any reason for the year marking to be missing ? thought that could happen if the blade was never formally issued, but I read the year should be year of manufacture, not of isse, so I'm really unsure...

Apart for that, there's a number of markings on the back of the blade, on the pommel and the guard - again, I tried to look around and get an understanding what those are - anyone could kindly help?

thanks all

Markings on a German 98 bayonetMarkings on a German 98 bayonetMarkings on a German 98 bayonetMarkings on a German 98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Markings on a German 98 bayonet
    P
    Many

?

This is a bavarian proofed and produced bayonet S98/05nA the timeline should be 1915/6 probably, its only weakly stamped as visible already on the crown L, the crossguard 1381 could be a inventory stamp of that piece. by Bavarians nothing strange, various serialing were realised. Ludwig III.

Royal cypher of Lugwig III.

Dok
    ?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    the crossguard 1381 could be a inventory stamp of that piece.
    For this manufacturer, inventory stamps on various parts of the bayonet are not uncommon.

Markings on a German 98 bayonet Markings on a German 98 bayonet
    Markings on a German 98 bayonet Markings on a German 98 bayonet
    Markings on a German 98 bayonet

thanks all for the help folks, appreciate - any chance you know what those other letters under the crown, stand for, on the other markings? i.e. there's a double marking on the pommel with something looking like an "h" under a crown, and another one that could be an "R" on the base of the blade, below the Ludwig III mark. thanks

Dok
    ?

Quote by ilvalto View Post
    thanks all for the help folks, appreciate - any chance you know what those other letters under the crown, stand for, on the other markings? i.e. there's a double marking on the pommel with something looking like an "h" under a crown, and another one that could be an "R" on the base of the blade, below the Ludwig III mark. thanks

It has acceptance stamps on the pommel, as well as on the spine.

?

The H proof stamp is more typical for late period of war, when look to Carter books or Voronov copy, so i would correct the date to 1917.