Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

rare or not

Article about: Hello I have this (sorry the pictures are blurry until I get the bayonet home in the mail) German Imperial SG1884/98 II bayonet by H. Mundlos & Co. Magdeburg and Gebruder Hartkopf. Solin

?

Default rare or not

Hello

I have this (sorry the pictures are blurry until I get the bayonet home in the mail) German Imperial SG1884/98 II bayonet by H. Mundlos & Co. Magdeburg and Gebruder Hartkopf. Solingen from 1916, I believe it is very rare the blade that was delivered to H. Mundlos or am I wrong? ....

Thanks

jtns63
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture rare or not   rare or not  

Attached Images Attached Images rare or not 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement rare or not
    P
    Many

Rare is a loaded word as it implies enhanced value, in this case it may not. Both Hartkopf and Mundlos marks are known on S84/98 made in the 1915-17 period. Just where Mundlos fits in in this combination is open to question. Certainly they manufactured bayonets in the Third Reich era, but during WW1 some believe they acted more as a distributor or perhaps and assembler of parts. The lighter struck Mundlos mark shows they did not make the blade. Interesting one though.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Rare is a loaded word as it implies enhanced value, in this case it may not. Both Hartkopf and Mundlos marks are known on S84/98 made in the 1915-17 period. Just where Mundlos fits in in this combination is open to question. Certainly they manufactured bayonets in the Third Reich era, but during WW1 some believe they acted more as a distributor or perhaps and assembler of parts. The lighter struck Mundlos mark shows they did not make the blade. Interesting one though.
    I have also looked for answers elsewhere that said this is a rare piece but I need to have more of the same answers before I am sure this is rare or not...
    warrelics is a great forum but also have to, to have more meaning answers.

Many thanks for the reply

Rgds
    Last edited by Larry C; 02-28-2023 at 03:22 PM.

?

S84/98 are certainly not rare, as many were produced in WW1, question remains how many were observed by this two makers, combination of blank deliverer Hartkopf and finisher Mundlos. Certainly could be declared as not obvious production. The condition of bayonet is not extra.

We would really need to see the entire bayonet... The manufacturers are both well-known producers, so I hesitate to use the word "rare" in connection with this piece...nor would I, as a collector, attach any added value based on the manufacturer...This is far more important with 3rd Reich Daggers than for combat equipment...Just my opinion, Friend...

Dok
    ?

Both Hartkopf and Mundlos are also known on 98/05 bayonets. And in this case, it is not a rare combination of co-production.
    From my collection

rare or not
    rare or not
    Last edited by Dok; 02-28-2023 at 04:48 PM.

I have one of these at home. I must have a look at the weekend when I get back.

?

Here are some pictures of my SG 84/98 II Bayonet by H.Mundlos. A.G. Magdeburg - Gebr Hartkopf. Solingen from 1916

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture rare or not   rare or not  

rare or not   rare or not  

?

Normal condition piece, well used, note the scabbard traces of frog, the maker combination is good, but bring not extra value probably.