Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

s98/05 Seitengewehr

Article about: I recently added this bayonet to my Imperial collection. This example is made by Carl Eickhorn, and came with an original frog. I believe the date stamp on the frog is 1915, I can't make out

Default s98/05 Seitengewehr

I recently added this bayonet to my Imperial collection.
    This example is made by Carl Eickhorn, and came with an original frog.
    I believe the date stamp on the frog is 1915, I can't make out the maker.
    It has acceptance stamps on the pommel, as well as a crown, W, and 15 stamped on the spine.
    The scabbard also has an acceptance stamp on the ball.
    Someone has applied a varnish to protect it, but I plan on carefully removing it.
    Ralph.

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr

s98/05 Seitengewehr
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement s98/05 Seitengewehr
    P
    Many

Nice bayonet.
    But about wood and varnish. Removing varnish from metal is fine. But I would advise not to take varnish away from grips itself.

Wooden grips doesn't seem to have any patina at all under the varnish. So it has been long time on top of it.
    Removing varnish under it comes out bleak / white wooden surface. And after that it looks messed up, which you need to fix somehow by oiling them or something.
    Spare yourself extra work, and don't touch grips.

Damm that advice brought back bad memory. Happened 5 years ago.

One time I had Finnish m28-30 bayonet which blade had ~80% black finishing left. I sold it.

Week later guy sends me pictures and is braggin how well he polished it and commented how well it cuts now...
    I commented "looks nice". And after that never associated with that guy again.

I bought a s98/05 at a flae market this last summer that someone had painted the
    grips bright red. I used a citrus based paint remover to try and get rid of the red paint.
    I pretty much ruined the grips.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Nice example of a 1915 nA new pattern Ralph. I would agree with others not to attempt to remove the varnish from the wood grips. It appears the scabbard has been over painted at some time. The good overall condition, paint & varnish suggests to me possible use after WW1, perhaps in a Polizei armoury during the Weimar era.

s98/05 Seitengewehr

A few trouble makers getting their collar felt, note the side arm.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Nice example of a 1915 nA new pattern Ralph. I would agree with others not to attempt to remove the varnish from the wood grips. It appears the scabbard has been over painted at some time. The good overall condition, paint & varnish suggests to me possible use after WW1, perhaps in a Polizei armoury during the Weimar era.
    Thank you!
    I will bear that in mind.
    After looking at the scabbard with a loupe, I can only see one thin layer of paint.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

There is no signs of using in Weimar era, no 1920 proofs, same as the scabbard is mostly different maker and not from Eickhorn bayonet, could be mixed by using, the date on frog could be 1918. Similar varnish or noncolor lack i would remove personally minimum from blade and guard, when not possible to remove from grips wout any damage, proof with alcohol only on metall parts.

That’s a very nice pickup Ralph. I don’t think the lacquer really detracts from the overall look of the bayonet. Gives the appearance of being lightly oiled perhaps.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    That’s a very nice pickup Ralph. I don’t think the lacquer really detracts from the overall look of the bayonet. Gives the appearance of being lightly oiled perhaps.

Andy
    Thanks Andy!
    So far, I haven't done anything to it, and probably won't in the near future.
    Ralph.