Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticating German Gold Wound Badge

Article about: Hi everyone, I recently am considering purchasing a Gold Wound Badge to complete my set of WWI wound badges. However, as well all know, Gold class is definitely a lot more pricier than the a

Default Authenticating German Gold Wound Badge

Hi everyone, I recently am considering purchasing a Gold Wound Badge to complete my set of WWI wound badges. However, as well all know, Gold class is definitely a lot more pricier than the average Black Wound Badge. I've been pondering it over, and am quite curious to how exactly could one authenticate it as the real deal, since they do not have any markings whatsoever. Although I do think this is not a fake, I'm still curious about how to authenticate items.

Anyway, this is the one I currently have in mind, any suggestions or tips would be most welcome.
    Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1630238[/ATAuthenticating German Gold Wound BadgeTACH]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticating German Gold Wound Badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authenticating German Gold Wound Badge
    P
    Many

It's important to familiarize yourself with the reverse hardware...

?

This badge is a Maybauer design and will also be found with a D.R.G.M. marked screwback fitting. You need to familiarize yourself with known design patterns and any idiosyncrasies associated with them. This will only come with study. Unfortunately there are numerous fakes out there utilising period correct hardware, so you really have to know your design / hardware correlations. I would have no problems whatsoever in owning this badge.

Regards
    Brett

?

Here's a black screwback version in this design courtesy of the GMIC forum:

Black wound badge with a twist. - Germany: Imperial: The Orders, Decorations and Medals of The Imperial German States - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

And a thread showing the Maybauer connection:

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, New rare screw back arrival

Regards
    Brett

Thank you! I'm always overly skeptical when it comes to Gold, and the words "What if..." are always at the back of my head. I have encountered Black ones painted as Gold (an abomination) in the past, and despite recognizing and not buying that, it nonetheless caused even more doubt that lasts till this day! Anyway, thank you for your references, this should really help me in the future!