Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?

Article about: Hi, I have this WW1 Iron Cross 2nd Class on the way from Militaria Berlin. The maker "ED" is described by the seller as "very uncommon" and looking around here and elsewh

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?

Hi,

I have this WW1 Iron Cross 2nd Class on the way from Militaria Berlin. The maker "ED" is described by the seller as "very uncommon" and looking around here and elsewhere is usually referred to as unknown I believe, i.e what "ED" stands for.

I did find an old auction where the seller is of the belief that this stands for "Elimeyer, Darmstadt".

I can't find anything regarding this maker in Darmstadt (near Frankfurt am Main in the West of Germany), however there is a good deal of information about a Moritz Elimeyer of Dresden. Moritz was a high grade Master Jeweller who seems crucially to have made (in addition to other high grade metal works) medals and awards... Moritz died in 1871, long before WW1 but I have to wonder if this might be the family firm / maker in question and someone mixed up Darmstadt with Dresden, or the maker/ firm simply moved from one place to another or had more than one outlet/ sales Office etc.

I also found an advert from a copy of "Bradshaw's Continental Traveller's Manual" dated 1851 which features a Maurice Elimeyer, jeweller to the Royal Court of Saxony, perhaps his father or the same person with an alternately spelled forename. This entry on Stadtwiki indicates it might be the same person:- Moritz Elimeyer - Stadtwiki Dresden

From that website:- "From 1847, Elimeyer is listed in the address book as the royal Saxon court jeweler, the court jeweler to the Queen of England and the ducal Saxony-Coburg-Gotha court jeweler. He remained purveyor to all three princely courts until his death. Elimeyer was especially famous for his silver work, mostly made of 800 silver, from precious individual pieces to multi-part silver sets. He also made high-quality medals, such as the Royal Saxon Order of Albrecht with diamonds or the Royal Saxon Military Order of St. Henry with diamonds. A multi-armed gilded candlestick, a so-called candelabra, by the court jeweler Elimeyer is exhibited in Pillnitz Castle in 1871, the year in which he died"

The die that the cross was stamped from does seem to be particularly crisp and well defined which is why I bought it. I only wanted an example of a WW1 EK2 and this one jumped out at me.

If anyone can correct anything I've said please do so, and I'd be interested in any further thoughts as to the identity of the "ED" maker/ manufacturing firm.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?   Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?  

Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?
    P
    Many

?

The Auction listing the maker "ED" as Elimeyer, Darmstadt; an example of a Saxony award made by Moritz Elimeyer (the 1917 date date may be wrong, or it may be a descendent with the same forename); and the 1851 advert.

Perhaps a long standing family firm making high grade jewellery, but crucially also medals and awards, that simply acquired a contract to make military awards during WW1?

I realise this is no great provenance as we cannot be 100% sure where the auction seller gained the information, but in the absence of anything at all perhaps a 'foot in the door' to identifying the maker "ED" ?

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?   Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?  

Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?   Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 - maker marked "ED" - Elimeyer Darmstadt ?  

PaulW,

Thank you so much for your insight and research into the possibility of the maker mark, ED being: Moritz Elimeyer Dresden. As well, welcome to the wonderful world of Imperial German Collecting. I love the little mysteries that surround our hobby and maybe, you have opened the door as to what firm manufactured your cross.

Congratulations on obtaining a beautiful cross as well!

I wait with bated breath to see further results.

Regards,

Joel

I am impressed with your research so far.
    It all sounds possible. As you said, it may be a "foot in the door".
    It would be nice to see a sales add actually showing a iron cross
    or a Saxon order with the same style of "ED" mark on it.

It's a nice looking first cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thank-you Joel and Greg! I've posted the same information on a German Forum and will see if anything comes back. The auction seller must have acquired the information from somewhere, there is a lot of knowledge out there that is not online, obscure reference books etc, but it could also be incorrect or inaccurate, perhaps Darmstadt was mixed up with Dresden etc. It's a pity that so much information has been lost over the years.

As for the Cross, I should have it soon. I normally collect WW2 but have a little WW1 and it's definitely an area of interest. A friend of a friend collects WW1 EK2's by the maker, he has a lot, and I think at some point I thought "I have to have one"! They are definitely an iconic design, the German's certainly know a thing or two about military heraldry.

Best regards, Paul