Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia

Article about: Since I've commented a lot on other people's Freikorps items, I thought I would start a thread around the central theme of Freikorps and Weimar era and show some of my collection from time t

I also noticed a similarity to the image on the cover of this Unit History ...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia
    P
    Many

I have a danzig TK reg. 5 stick pin. It does not have a twisted pin and
    the others that I have seen posted also do not have the twisted pin.

I know that this is not the norm for German stick pins but in the case
    of the 5th Kav pin, this seems to be the rule and not the exception.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I also noticed a similarity to the image on the cover of this Unit History ...
    cheers, Glenn
    That's a line drawing of Iron Division medal.

Careful , as the Husken guide contains many fake and fantasy badges .

Quote by jimmy72 View Post
    Careful , as the Husken guide contains many fake and fantasy badges .
    He is known for selling fakes and has been charged with fraud and sued. I'm not saying you're wrong and you could very well have valid examples. But, what specific evidence do you have that your allegation is the case?

The Weimar-Era Pieces from my Collection...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia   Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia  

Einwohnerwehr during the Freikorps period

After the initial Spartacist (Communist) uprising in Berlin had been suppressed by a combination of Freikorps units and citizen brigades (referred to initially as "Bürgerwehren") in January 1919, the Reichs Ministry of Defense ordered regional commands to establish civilian brigades (referred to as Einwohnerwehren, literally 'Inhabitants' Defense Forces) on March 22, 1919 to maintain stability within the country. Each state had a central office for the Einwohnerwehr which followed instructions from the military command as well as liaising with local police. The Einwohnerwehr were directly involved in suppression of communist uprisings and workers strikes that occurred around the country from 1919-1923. For example, the Bavarian Einwohnerwehr were heavily involved in the Battle of Munich on May 2-3, 1919 against the Bavarian Soviet government.

Einwohnerwehr wore civilian clothes and were mainly identified by the wearing of a simple armband that had either a state or city designation printed on them, as well as a membership serial number, or a district badge sewn onto them.

I have a few of these armbands and will post firstly an interesting set to a civilian guard from Brunswick, named Heinz Holger. I got this set from Holger's family. The story I heard from his grandson was that in 1919, Holger was a teenager, who had just finished high school. He had wanted to run away and join the Freikorps. But, his father (a WWI vet) wouldn't let him, but compromised and allowed him to join the Einwohnerwehr.

Armband of Einwohnerwehr Braunschweig with Holger's serial number 2493.

An letter from the central command of Einwohnerwehr Braunschweig requesting Holger return his membership certificate, his gun license and the armband. Once service was completed, the official documents and armband were to be returned as they gave the holder police powers. Obviously Holger never returned them, which is why I have luckily ended up with this set.

In 1920, the Einwohnerwehr Central Command with the Reichs Ministry of Defense established an Honor Badge known as the "Falkenknopf" (Falcon Button) and Honor Certificate for those who had served in the Einwohnerwehr. A variation was also established specifically for the City of Essen.

Honor Badge (Falkenknopf) for Einwohnerwehren Deutschland. This was worn in the bottonhole and thus had a round button attached by a metal wedge on the reverse. Reasonable quality fakes of this badge have started appearing on the market that have a safety pin attachment. They were never made this way.

Honor Certificate for Einwohnerwehren Deutschland awarded to Heinz Holger.

In addition, here's an example of the Einwohnerwehr Essen badge made by B.H. Meyer, Pforzheim, for reference. Fakes of this have also started appearing lately, usually in a bronze or silvered bronze finish with a safety pin attachment. This is a hard to find badge and original examples currently run about 300 EUROS.

Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insigniaFreikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia
    Last edited by bolewts58; 05-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Quote by bolewts58 View Post
    Der Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer

Organization for Freikorps veterans of the Baltic Campaigns, 1919-1920.

Founded as the Verein Ehemaliger Baltenkämpfer (Association of Former Baltic Fighters) in Magdeburg in 1921. In 1933, it was renamed Der Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer . On June 2-3, 1934 a reunion of the 36,000 members was held at Castle Saaleck where a large limestone plaque honoring the fallen of the Baltic campaign was installed in the east tower with a speech from the former Baltic commander, Graf Rüdiger von der Goltz. The association was disbanded in June 1936 by Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick.

Attachment 1075159Attachment 1075160
    1933 membership stickpin of Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer

Attachment 1075161
    1935 membership stickpin when the association was also called the Kameradschaft Baltikum und Freikorpskämpfer

An early (1922) membership card and a 1933 membership certificate showing the two official names of this association.
    The first pin has a text in Dutch (We want to ride to the east(land)). This seems very strange for a 1933 pin of the Reichsverband der Baltikumkaempfer. Is there an explanation for? I image there were hardly any Dutch involved in the fighting in that part of the world.

cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The first pin has a text in Dutch (We want to ride to the east(land)). This seems very strange for a 1933 pin of the Reichsverband der Baltikumkaempfer. Is there an explanation for? I image there were hardly any Dutch involved in the fighting in that part of the world.
    It's from the text of the Oostlandlied, the song of the Flemish settlers in the east. It is found in several German song books of the 19th and 20th centuries. The quote was also adopted as the title of a 1925 book by the German author Hans Ferdinand Gerhard.

It's supposedly also an old form of Baltic German derived from the Flemish settlers and spoken by the Germans who originally had lands in the Baltic. It also relates to the Livonian Order of Knights (Teutonic Knights) who invade Russia between 1240 and 1242. It was adopted as the motto of the German Freikorps fighting in the Baltic campaign. It's the same text as on the SSVK medal (Medaille des Soldaten-Siedlung-Verbandes Kurland) Medal of the Soldiers Settlement Association Kurland. Long before the Nazi "Lebensraum", the Germans had their eye on the east.

here's a link about the SSVK medal which has the complete text of the Flemish ballad of Flemish settlers in Germany “To the East” - “Naer Oostland”.

Antique Photos - Medal of the Soldiers Settlement Association Kurland

here's a close-up of mine.

Last edited by bolewts58; 05-17-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast