MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German Wound Badges (Black) Authentication

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently come across 2 black wound badges by chance and acquired them. However, I couldn't help but notice minor differences between the 2, and though I don't doubt their a

Default German Wound Badges (Black) Authentication

Hello everyone,
    I recently come across 2 black wound badges by chance and acquired them.
    However, I couldn't help but notice minor differences between the 2, and though I don't doubt their authenticity yet, I nonetheless am curious to why they seem to vary so in weight and minor quality. Anyway, I've provided some photos below for better clarification and would love to hear from your experience. Thanks!

Item 1: No visible markings; weighs approx. 12g

Item 2: Enscribed with DRGM, which I learned was a patent stamp; better defined to Item 1, and helmet is slightly shinier; weighs approx 9g.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Wound Badges (Black) Authentication
    P
    Many

I can't say anything about the possible manufacturers, but I don't see any red flags on either badge. Number two has a "DRGM" mark (=Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchsmuster/German Reich Utility Model), which I've seen several times before. IMO two nice original badges.

I've always found it quite hard on my end to be able to say for certain whether wound badges were real or not. I have seen repros which do not possess the details as that of an authentic wound badge, but I always worry whether I might some day be looking at a very good quality repro!
    That said, I did like the craftmanship and detail on the ones I acquired, though I am rather curious to why they vary in weight. I suppose that as the war progressed, materials might have been somewhat altered. Pity I can't really tell what kind of metals they are each out of though.

?

These are 2 good badges. As far as weight variation goes, you have to take into account numerous manufacturers, slight differences in material thickness, slightly varying sizes etc. These badges were made from 1918 until the early 1940s, so differences are to be expected. Certain German forums seem to think that the DRGM badges are made by Deumer. However, as no firm evidence is ever shown, this has to be taken with a grain of salt. A weak magnet will tell you whether any badge in question is magnetic or not.

Regards
    Brett

MAP
    ?

Moved to the "new" Imperial Awards section
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)