Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kind request for help to identify this medal.

Article about: Dear All, Greetings from Gdansk, Poland A kind request to identify this family heirloom. My great grandfather was an archivist and civil servant in Prussian administration, before Poland reg

Default Kind request for help to identify this medal.

Dear All,
    Greetings from Gdansk, Poland

A kind request to identify this family heirloom. My great grandfather was an archivist and civil servant in Prussian administration, before Poland regained it's independence in 1918. Due to turbulent Poland's history we have just a few memorabilia left from this period of his life, including Verdienstkreutz fur Kriegshilfe with paper, and Roten Adlersmedal 4th class papers (the medal itself is missing).
    We also have this medal? badge? which I failed to identify.

Could anyone shed some light on this item, please?

Best regards,
    Krystian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kind request for help to identify this medal.
    P
    Many

Hi Krystian welcome to the forum,

I don't know for sure what this is so this is very much an "informed guess".

Given the symbology of the Eiserneskreuz with the laurel wreath together with the colours of Imperial Germany, Imperial Austria and Hungary plus the date 1914 I am inclined to think that this a a supporters / fundraisers badge for something such as the Kriegshilfe Bureau (I thinks that was the name).

As I say, this is an informed guess but it might give you a place to look.

If you do identify it please remember to update this thread.

Regards

Mark

PS Looking again at your post I notice you mentioned the Verdienstkreuz fur Kriegshilfe which would seem to tie in with my suggestion?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-19-2023 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Commemorative or patriotic badge? Veteran organisation?

I agree with Mark on this.
    I do not know which organization it might be associated with
    but it is not an official award of any kind.

It is a very nice looking piece, it would look good in any iron cross collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thank you, Mark, this indeed makes sense - being a Berlin University lecturer, my great granddad very likely might have been involved in such fundrising campaigns.

I asked on some other forums as well, if any more info shows up, I'll surely post it here.

Interesting suggestions, thanks! Definitely not veteran, as the holder was never in the army.

Quote by Krystian Paczkowski View Post
    Interesting suggestions, thanks! Definitely not veteran, as the holder was never in the army.
    No, not a veterans organisation. More likely charity/fundraising/veteran support etc.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It's definitely an unofficial piece of Patriotika, and a good quality one at that.