Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Equipment Translation

Article about: I am looking for some guidance. Some time ago I started on making a WWI officers mannequin based on a photograph of Ernst Junger. Through some digging I was able to cross reference the date

Default Equipment Translation

I am looking for some guidance. Some time ago I started on making a WWI officers mannequin based on a photograph of Ernst Junger. Through some digging I was able to cross reference the date of the photo with his diary entry for that date, and through google translate lucked onto the fact that he listed out some of the equipment he was carrying. While google translate does a quite good job, some of the wording is still odd. What I am curious about is if “Binde” could best be translated as bandage rather than strip of cloth, and if “Trillerpfeife” could be translated as horn. I am curious if he might have used bandages on his arms as the armbands seen in the photo, and if the object tucked into his belt might be a horn. Attached are photos of the diary entries, the reference photo, and the mannequin thus far (minus a crank handle bayonet added somewhat recently).

Equipment TranslationEquipment TranslationEquipment TranslationEquipment TranslationEquipment TranslationEquipment Translation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Equipment Translation
    P
    Many

?

Binde can be translated as belt or, more literally, as band (think kragenbinde, for necktie).
    Trillerpfeife could simply be a whistle.

Lovely photograph and nice detective work, by the way.

?

Trillerpfeife is not a horn. Trillerpfeife is the word for the small whistle that the referee uses in football for example. Binde can be many things but given the context and the picture it’s just a piece of cloth that you wear around the arm (Armbinde). Could also be that he uses a bandage as as an armbinde but can’t make that out in picture.

Thank you. Seems to match the translations Google provided more or less. Leaves the mystery of what he has tucked into his belt by the dagger. I still suspect it is a metal horn similar in style to this, and find it odd he wouldn't list it given everything else he lists, but he does leave out the map case and gas mask canister as well.

Equipment Translation

You need a trench knife for the belt.