Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Canteen with unusual leather cover??? Ottoman?? Help

Article about: Hello guy's What do I have here? Any ideas. I recently picked up this "Salty" canteen. So it's looks to be a Ww1 German bottle with a strange cover and cradle. It definitely has so

Default German Canteen with unusual leather cover??? Ottoman?? Help

Hello guy's
    What do I have here? Any ideas.

I recently picked up this "Salty" canteen.
    So it's looks to be a Ww1 German bottle with a strange cover and cradle.
    It definitely has some age to it.

I have seen photos of a canteen with a similar leather cut star as this one does and it was said to be Ottoman.
    I can make out some text on the leather star, a date mark maybe (1915?) And other letters.
    Recycled or field made from some imperial german kit??

Once in hand I will have a better idea of the text.

Would love any feedback, and if you have seen or have something similar please let me know.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help   German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  

German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help   German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  

German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help   German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  

German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  
    Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 05-22-2022 at 11:24 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help
    P
    Many

That’s interesting Corey! I really like the untouched appearance it has.

Was this picked up in NZ? Gallipoli bring back perhaps…..

Hello Andy.
    This is coming out of France.
    One of those random flebay items that caught my eye.
    It was super cheep as the seller didn't know what it was and had the (make an offer) option.

I offered less than half what he was asking and to my surprise they excepted.
    I definitely wasn't expecting my offer to be excepted at what I offered, like the price of a spare cork, but hey, you just never know.

A good project to research

MAP
    ?

Uber cool. I know nothing about these but would assume the "star" is some type of personalization, even if done at a unit level. The date on the leather leads me to believe it might be a repurposed piece of leather.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Interesting piece. Certainly has some age to it and worth a punt on if the price is low. A bit more research will hopefully confirm the history.

?

Almost certainly re-purposed leather (especially when the other shown example is considered). The leatherwork and brass studs put me in mind of the articulated shoulder straps from a French As de Carreau, but I cannot swear to that being their origin.
    The fact that two very similar examples have been found suggests a semi-official design. Most intriguing.. Looking forward to finding out what it is!
    Like Andy, I love how genuinely untouched it is. It looks fabulous.

OK, so it finally arrived today.
    So I have tried to take some closer photos.
    One half of me wants to give it a clean and leather balm...and the other half is saying don't undo history.

The leather is actually in amazing condition considering is probably been in someone's attic for 100 years.
    Just a fine layer of dirt and dust, inside the canteen is clean to.

Here are the photos.
    Obviously you can see 1915 stamped into the leather on the star shape.
    Any idea of the word above could be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help   German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  

German Canteen with unusual  leather cover??? Ottoman??  Help  
    Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 06-15-2022 at 07:48 PM.

It’s a very interesting item. Would love to know more about the leather adornment. Wonderful patina and great photos too!

Congratulations,
    Andy

Thanks Andy.
    Any idea of the word above the 1915 on the star?
    Some type of recycled German straps I'm thinking.

Cheers

Quote by Coreynewzealand View Post
    Thanks Andy.
    Any idea of the word above the 1915 on the star?
    Some type of recycled German straps I'm thinking.

Cheers
    That would be my guess. A leftover maker marking from whatever the owner cannibalized to make the star.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast