Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German Grabenpanzer / Sappenpanzer

Article about: It all started with a loose plate of an Grabenpanzer I found in an antique store. The consequence is that you have to have the other plates to make it complete. So after a few months I picke

Default German Grabenpanzer / Sappenpanzer

It all started with a loose plate of an Grabenpanzer I found in an antique store. The consequence is that you have to have the other plates to make it complete. So after a few months I picked up a top part of the Grabenpanzer up at a fair. It was painted black and had a orange anti-rust paint layer under the black. One of the rivets was missing and another one was replaced by a screw. (Do you think it would be advisable to get this fixed by a black smith?) No markings found expect a 38 stamp. I tried to peel the layer carefully of but did not succeed. I found out that the orange was old quality hard as nails.

So I removed the paint mechanically by hand and found out that the orange paint got in the pitting. It left me no choice than to do a repaint where it was necessary.

I hope you like he result of this restoration so far because I have two plates and the strapping to go. ( If you have some laying around please PM me)

Before:

After:

Fritz seems to be happy with his new armor....

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Grabenpanzer / Sappenpanzer
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very well done. What a great display! Congrats.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think you have done a very sympathetic restoration, good luck locating the other pieces.

?

It looks great now!!
    Nice job on the restore!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Basically I would rather leave a historic piece untouched. But this time there was no other option. I tried to safe as much original patina. Took me a few weeks but I'm happy when Fritz is happy.

Cheers Paul
    Last edited by Irish1965; 09-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Very nice how this turned out, are you thinking about restoring the stirnpanzerplate, or getting a more sturdier piece?

The Stirnpanzer is what it is. It was found at the foot of 'Mort Hommes' and left there on the battlefield after the Verdun battle. A relic of one of the bloodiest and epic battles of WW1. I would never touch that. And finding another one will set me back a few bucks. I know one for sale with camo and markings. I had it hand. It's a good one. Maybe I'll can save up for that one.

Cheers Paul

Paul, I think you have done a fantastic job with the restoration of this piece. The colour of field grey paint looks perfect.

The stirnpanzer is a great relic piece and glad you have decided to leave it as is. What is the intention with Fritz? Full uniform as well? Sniper mannequin? I’m working on a storm trooper mannequin but it’s a long road.

Andy

Well Andy, my friend Fritz is happy but half naked because he's half a man and does not fit the uniform. The uniform (greycoat) went to his big brother Hans, only Hans is headless.

Say hi to Hans. I think you met him before.

Cheers Paul

P.S. I changed the LW strap for a WW1 strap. (old photo) and please share the progress of your Stormtrupper. A long road but rewarding.

Thanks for the photos Paul! Hans looks great! That feldmutze is very nice as are the other items of equipment. Nice great coat too!

I’m undecided between a regular soldier and a stormtrooper. I have ten helmets to choose from, two gas masks, a Luger holster, a belt, buckles, a bread bag but no uniform pieces yet as I’ve been concentrating more on WW1 and TR helmets. But I’d be close to a regular soldier aside from the most expensive items such as tunic/bluse and combat trousers. I would also need some Imperial jackboots.

A stormtrooper would be harder. I have helmets, a belt and buckle, Luger holster and wire cutters. The most difficult pieces to acquire would be grenade bags (don’t think I’ve ever seen them for sale), leg wrappings, short boots, stick grenades etc. So a regular soldier may be a much more easily achievable mannequin to put together.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast