Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.

Article about: I recently picked up this example of a German WW1 entrenching tool and cover. There are still remains of field grey paint on the blade however I was unable to see a manufacturers mark as in

Default Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.

I recently picked up this example of a German WW1 entrenching tool and cover. There are still remains of field grey paint on the blade however I was unable to see a manufacturers mark as in some areas the paint is quite thick.The cover is still in good condition, quite supple and date stamped 1917. There is a manufacturers stamp which appears to be J.Gottleib Sohn ????A.G.H. The leather is also unit marked but a little hard to decipher.

Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover.
    P
    Many

CSW
    ?

That's a beautiful set! The manufacturer's marking says J. G. Lieb Söhne, Biberach 1917 and the unit stamp seems to be for 2./J. R. 17

J. G. Lieb was known as a manufacturer of firefighting equipment, but they also produced helmets and the like for the German military during WW1. One example was posted here on WRF a while back.

Found a little bit of information about the company here (in German).

That’s some great information CSW. Thank you very much for your time! I tried to find some information on J.G. Lieb Sohn, but not having the full title of the manufacturer, I was finding it very difficult.
    Not surprising that they made Pickelhaubes as well, I’ve read of toy factories tooling up to make them as well.

Andy

MAP
    ?

A great pick up Andy. Your on a roll. Can't wait to see what is next!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Michael! I’m looking forward to finishing this one. Eventually, I’d really like to represent a Stormtrooper, however, that one is many $$ away. But I’ll enjoy the journey, while collecting the pieces.

Andy