Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.

Article about: Hello all, Just after some opinions on this WW1 Gas Mask and tin that I am considering purchasing. Its currently being offered as being in original condition with a 1918 filter. It looks goo

Ahh if it does have asbestos it will kill you 30-40 years later if you wear the thing! and you can't claim compo!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.
    P
    Many

The models 1930 & 38 used in Reichwehr & Third Third era did use charcoal compound in the filters. This one used asbestos, but as said unless you plan on wearing it or make a habit of throwing it around the room the risks are low. Follow advice as suggested for making it stable - or leave as is and be sensible.

And by that time I'll be about 75 so don't think I'll worry too much.

Thanks BlackCat. I guess it's all about being informed and managing risks. I have a complete WW1 Brodie Helmet that I purchased a month ago....have not yet opened the box and will weight until I'm ready to display it. Have not yet opened the box but will treat the asbestos as advised and the same with any gas mask I purchase. Certainly only for displaying and not messing with.

?

Hi Andrew,

I have read conflicting reports on the use of asbestos in the ledermaske filters, from the reference material I have the filter cartridge contents are listed as "activated charcoal & potassium carbonate" as fitted to the the later ledermaske. They also sometimes used the extra clip-on filter for use against irritant gases. As with anything with a certain doubt/risk, I wouldn't try wearing one. There are stories of people trying on/tampering with masks & sickened by the presence of gas agents still contained within the filters. Personally I think an intact mask kept behind glasses is unlikely to give off airborne fibres. If it is indeed present.

I believe there is no doubt the later ww2 mask styles definitely used asbestos in their filters.

I was fortunate enough to find a Ledermaske & accessories on eBay.au a few years ago for $200- they do exist!

Regards

Dan

Thank you Dan.

I have seen a diagram but not speaking german and my only german friend recently passing on I would need to find an interpreter to read for me (which I may still do). I intend to display one (when I eventually do get one) in a glass cabinet and hopefully any potential harm should then be minimised. I certainly wouldn't try one on and have read recently about gas agents being re activated but thanks for the warning. Best regards, Andrew

Quote by Jg26 View Post
    Hi Andrew,

I have read conflicting reports on the use of asbestos in the ledermaske filters, from the reference material I have the filter cartridge contents are listed as "activated charcoal & potassium carbonate" as fitted to the the later ledermaske. They also sometimes used the extra clip-on filter for use against irritant gases. As with anything with a certain doubt/risk, I wouldn't try wearing one. There are stories of people trying on/tampering with masks & sickened by the presence of gas agents still contained within the filters. Personally I think an intact mask kept behind glasses is unlikely to give off airborne fibres. If it is indeed present.

I believe there is no doubt the later ww2 mask styles definitely used asbestos in their filters.

I was fortunate enough to find a Ledermaske & accessories on eBay.au a few years ago for $200- they do exist!

Regards

Dan
    Dan are you sure about the Gasemaske 38 filter being asbestos based, I'm sure they were activated charcoal? I do agree that if behind glass and handled safely the risks are low.

?

Hi Blackcat,

I believe the issue with ww2 Gasmasken is the outer element of the filter- that is, not the charcoal itself, but the fibrous medium between the charcoal & outer filter mesh. Allegedly it's not cotton as it appears, but some form of asbestos material.

Regards

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2