Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.

Article about: A couple of years ago I posted a short piece on Gasmask Spectacles; prescription spectacles designed to be worn under a gasmask. In such designs the temples (proper name for the arms) were l

?

Default A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.

A couple of years ago I posted a short piece on Gasmask Spectacles; prescription spectacles designed to be worn under a gasmask.

In such designs the temples (proper name for the arms) were laterally thin so as not to open a gap between the face and the material of the mask, which would allow gas to enter.

There is a well known WWI German version of these with a couple of inches (4 cm) long ‘V’ shaped metal temples ending in two small straps that looped around the ears. In WWII an almost identical Masken Brille design was used, but these had short stumpy ‘v’ temples with a correspondingly longer ear loop (see last images below which I posted a few years ago, showing the WWI & WWII Standard Types).

Recently I have come across a second type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles (see other images). These have identical lens frames and bridge to the ‘standard’ type, but instead of the ‘V’ shaped temples they have simple sheet metal temples, which end in a couple of vertical holes which elastic is passed through to loop around the ears. They are painted in the classic ‘Field Grey’ and seem to have come in a similar pressed sheet metal case to the ‘Standard Type’.

I have not been able to find out much about this type, but one pair on a German vending site stated they were of 1916 vintage. I have just been successful in getting a pair from a German site, previous ones were a bit expensive. The spread leg pair are mine.

I thought they may be an ‘economy model’ as production of the metal sheet temples would be simpler and cheaper than the ‘V’ shaped ‘white metal’ castings, and probably more robust. Although the sheet metal type have the refinement of a tortoise shell (period plastic) liner to the bridge.

They seem rarer than the WWI ‘Standard Type’ (which are quite rare themselves), so might be a Private Purchase item, or of Austro-Hungarian type?

Any information or comments on the ‘Second Type’ or ‘Sheet Metal Gasmask Spectacles’ would be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.   A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.  

A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.   A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.  

Attached Images Attached Images A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.
    P
    Many

Unfortunately, I can’t shed any further light on these Rabaul, as they are quite rare in general, but particularly the example you have shown. If German, then perhaps a private purchase as you’ve suggested. If I can find some more information I’ll post it.

For comparison, is a pair of the more common variety you mentioned with an M16 square dip helmet. Photos from the Samual Cormier Collection.

A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.A Second Type of WWI German Gasmask Spectacles? (Masken Brille 1 w.k.); with sheet metal temples.

?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply, good to know another pair of eyes will be looking for info.

Regards
    Steve

MAP
    ?

Nice pick up. Not something I've seen before.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)