Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister

Article about: Hi all, Looking at purchasing this WW1 German gas mask & canister. I've noticed online that all the WW1 canisters have a flat lid, where this has a raised section in the centre. There is

Default WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing this WW1 German gas mask & canister. I've noticed online that all the WW1 canisters have a flat lid, where this has a raised section in the centre. There is a compartment on the inside of the lid for the spare lenses - I haven't seen any others with the raised section on the lid though. Is this a different design or different countries canister or something?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice looking mask.

Sorry but can't help on the variation you see.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you do a search on gasmaske 1917!then you will see that this type of container is fine. Although not said the interior of the tin will most likely be painted gloss black colour. All looks good to me, nice find.

Thanks for your replies! It will look creepy on display, but is a cool piece of history.

?

Great catch these are a must have. Rob

Agree, nice set and looks as it has the 1918 issue clip on filter to boot ! cheers Tony

Two photos of my older mask for comparison. I would be interested in seeing more photos of the one you posted. NH

WW1 German Gas Mask & CanisterWW1 German Gas Mask & Canister

Hi Everyone, I picked up the gas mask today! Attached are some photos. There is some writing on the lid of the cannister, as well as what looks to be something handwritten on the bottom. Cannister is painted in what appears to be field grey with a gloss black interior. Very happy with this find - although it does look creepy on display! I know it's debated - do these WW1 masks have asbestos in them?

Thanks!

I'd avoid displaying it like that long term, as leaving it mounted on the mannequin head will put strain on the head straps. Polystyrene heads also give off fumes, which can react badly with the rubber. Short-term for photographs is fine, but I wouldn't recommend displaying it permanently in such a way.

I'm not sure of the contents of WWI-era masks. WWII German gas masks used activated charcoal rather than asbestos in their filters. Regardless of the contents, it is over 100 years old. All sorts of nasties will have built up inside the canister, along with whatever was placed in there originally. As long as you don't try it on, you'll be absolutely fine. That is true of all period gas masks, whatever their age or origin.

Regards, B.B.

It appears a name is on the lid - Gussmann or Sussmann? Hard to read but maybe you can get better photos. Excellent find. NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast