MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1933! M31 Bread Bag

Article about: I have some a couple good finds lately to share, this being (in my opinion) the best one. It is the very first time I have seen a 1933 date bread bag and it is the earliest I’ve seen overa

Default 1933! M31 Bread Bag

I have a couple good finds lately to share, this being (in my opinion) the best one. It is the very first time I have seen a 1933 date bread bag and it is the earliest I’ve seen overall, before this I’d only seen 34 dates.

It has a lot of interesting features, definitely saw service through the entire war. Nearly every button is replaced except one button on the inside. The condition is worn but still great without any major damage or holes. Maker mark and date are still crisp which is very hard to find on any early bag let alone this early. It reads “Hottschalk & Co A:G Kassel 1933”. Interestingly it is marked to the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium) on the inside, something that Ive seen once on a 1933 date canteen and once on a 1934 date Gasmask. The final thing I’d like to note is the fact it has two compartments on the inside, something I have only seen on political and post war bags, this is the first time I’ve seen it on a M31 example.

Happy Hunting!
    -Bodhi

1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag
    1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag1933! M31 Bread Bag
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 01-14-2023 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1933! M31 Bread Bag
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very nice. Never seen such an early example. Well marked too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Another nice find Bodhi! I’ve not seen one with the pebbled buttons before.

Nice find! Maker is 'Gottschalk & Co. ...' It's quite interesting that the back of the push button is labeled 'Extra Fine' in English instead of German 'Extra Fein'. The back of the flap is handwritten marked 'Lorch', either the name of the owner or a location for the town of 'Lorch' in Hesse?

Thank you gents! I am very happy with this one.

The pebbled buttons are an interesting repair, I’d go out on a limb and say very likely it is a wartime repair.

Thanks for that correction Sammler that first letter was tricky to read. The extra fine button is an oddity to me too, I will hit it with a UV light to see if it is an old or newer repair.

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Thank you gents! I am very happy with this one.

The pebbled buttons are an interesting repair, I’d go out on a limb and say very likely it is a wartime repair.

Thanks for that correction Sammler that first letter was tricky to read. The extra fine button is an oddity to me too, I will hit it with a UV light to see if it is an old or newer repair.
    You're welcome! That's true, at first sight you might think it's an 'H'. However, there is no surname 'Hottschalk' in Germany, whereas the name 'Gottschalk' is very common. About Gottschalk & Co.: 'Gottschalk & Co. was a cloth weaving mill in the north of Kassel, which was founded in the second half of the 19th century and ceased production in 1999 after a checkered company history.' (Source Wiki)

?

Great example with a rare early date.