Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition

Article about: I'm new here. I usually collect WW II U.S. helmets and have been a member of the US Militaria Forum for a number of years. However, I recently was given a German WW II gas mask and canister

Default 1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition

I'm new here. I usually collect WW II U.S. helmets and have been a member of the US Militaria Forum for a number of years. However, I recently was given a German WW II gas mask and canister by a previous student of mine where I teach. I would like to know what I have and its possible market value. The photos below do not do much justice to the minty quality of the paint and condition of the straps, etc. No rust, etc. on the gas mask's filter you see the marking Kg. 5 or Rg. 5, not sure. Wondering what this means. Named to the soldier on canister and mask and both dated to 1939. Just a small amount of sand crusted in the corners of the bottom of the canister. The lens for the mask, however, do not seem to be glass, but may be. They are not in great shape and have yellowed. Please see the photos! Again, I'm wondering if this item is rare and its possible market value.

Cheers,

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition   1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition  

1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition   1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition  

1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition   1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition  

1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1939 Marked Gas Mask & Canister Named and Minty Condition

Hi

What a strange stamp on the snout.... necer saw anything like it.....

Could you make a better picture of it ??

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Hello,
    It looks like a very nice Gasmask set....
    IMO The mask GM30 itself is quite early (S-Maske?)....what's the date of production stamped inside the Gasmask ?
    The inked stamped FE37 is very cool and IMO also quite early...

Tom : i have seen this type of markings before, it is legit...IMO a controller stamp....

Mike : Concerning a value, a complete Gasmask set in good condition, with original carrying straps can be found for 100/150 euros depending mainly on the condition. This kind of set in not rare but this item is so characteristic of the WWII german soldier, that there should be at least one example in any collection, even if this collection is not dedicated to TR items...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hi Mr. Philip,

Thanks so much! Yes, the date to the inside of the gasmask is: 11 1937. Other markings: Bauer or Buer, is this the maker? Also the older national eagle and WaA 325 maybe, need to gt my glasses out for these numbers. Looks also like a serial number and some other 4 numbers, like inspection maybe?

Thanks also Tom. By the way, would either of you know how to pronounce the name on the item?

Cheers,

Mike

Indeed, nice early mask with the reinforcement on the snout.

On the side of the snout you can also see the size of the mask... there probably is a mark like A1B, or A2B or A3B
    The 1, 2 or 3 are the size while AB stands for Auer Berlin

As for the pronounciation:

Wieb = like in the english word "we", but then a little more like "ve" and with a "b" at the end (pronounced like a "p")
    ke = pronounced like "cut" but without the t

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Again, thanks Tom. Indeed, there is an A2B on the side of the snout and a 2 marked several times inside the gasmask.

Cheers,

MIke