Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Complete ESB 33 M31 Canteen

Article about: I remember posting my first nice 1934 canteen and I couldn’t contain my excitement over it, that was 2 odd years ago, and now I have 3 of the damn things. It’s not too often I feel that

Default Complete ESB 33 M31 Canteen

I remember posting my first nice 1934 canteen and I couldn’t contain my excitement over it, that was 2 odd years ago, and now I have 3 of the damn things. It’s not too often I feel that excitement over a new canteen however this one has brought that feeling back. A complete matching 1933 date canteen has been a bit of a dream item for a while now, I know of a very small handful and didn’t expect to get my hands on one soon at all.

The canteen itself is a pretty nice example, it has noticeable insect damage on the front of the cover but that’s the only real issue. It is all matching ESB 33 with the covers markings being worn but still legible. The bottle has definitely been held over an open flame a few times, gives it some nice character that for me doesn’t hurt it at all. There is what I believe to be a unit marking on the strap however it’s completely impossible to make out (at least for me). Very very happy to have found one even if the condition isn’t perfect, who knows maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to find a better one.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Complete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 CanteenComplete ESB 33 M31 Canteen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Complete ESB 33 M31 Canteen
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice. Love the scorching

A black like sometimes works on ink. Night vision equipment too
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Congrats on the acquisition! That Landser evidently liked his tea and coffee warmed up.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I agree Todd, definitely seen it’s fair share of tea and coffee!

The markings got bleached out a bit with my lighting but thankfully it’s still clear enough to confirm it’s matching. I will definitely try and hit em with a black light though.

?

Nice. They don’t come much earlier than that!

Nice catch!

Thank you both! Just need a 1932 date now, that will be a helluva challenge.

I actually like how it looks- a well worn and used item in field conditions. Also the carabiner for attaching the canteen to the breadbag has interesting checkering(?) pattern- never had seen one with horizontal stripes. Thanks for the sharing.

Very nice Bodi. You find some very nice early stuff. Congrats. Good luck on the 1932.
    John

Thanks Oberschutze, I agree a nice worn example isn’t a bad thing, gives it nice character. The pattern on the carabiner is in my opinion a slightly more uncommon one, I’ve only seen it on very early canteens. The latest I’ve seen it myself was on a 1935 canteen, I myself have another example with this kind of pattern, it’s on a G&CL 34.

Thank you John! I appreciate the kind words, and really appreciate the luck on finding a 1932, I will for sure need it!