Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)

Article about: Hello folks. I picked these up from eBay a few days ago. They were suffering from a severe case of aluminium oxide, but were otherwise in good condition and had all the 'extras', so I though

Default Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)

Hello folks.

I picked these up from eBay a few days ago. They were suffering from a severe case of aluminium oxide, but were otherwise in good condition and had all the 'extras', so I thought they were worth a punt.

These binoculars are coded 'beh' for the maker Ernst Leitz GmbH, Wetzlar. The 'KF' marking indicates the optics have been filled with gas to prevent lens fogging in cold conditions, and the blue circle indicates a specific composition to this gas. The circle dates the manufacture of these binoculars to around 1942. The optics are crystal clear, and the right lens features a reticle for windage. They come with the original neck strap, bakelite lens protector and buttonhole attachment. These were improperly attached when I first purchased the binoculars, and I've since removed and replaced them correctly. I believe these would have been issued to artillery spotters, but of course would have been used in other roles as well.

As it turns out, aluminium oxide cleans up very well with a light application of gun oil! The central hinge was seized up when I first got them, as were both the lens focusers. Most of the white powdery residue wiped right off with an oily rag, and the hinge and focusers loosened up with a few light sprays. After a bit of restoration, I've been left with a very nice pair of Dienstglas for a fraction of the normal price!

Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dienstglas 10x50 ('beh' - Ernst Leitz)
    P
    Many