Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

ESB 35 Gebirsjäger Labeflasche

Article about: Here is the most recent addition to my canteen haul, I believe this makes number 18 for the collection. It’s a nice early example made in 1935 by Eduard Sommerfeld in Berlin and is all mat

Default ESB 35 Gebirsjäger Labeflasche

Here is the most recent addition to my canteen haul, I believe this makes number 18 for the collection. It’s a nice early example made in 1935 by Eduard Sommerfeld in Berlin and is all matching. Unfortunately missing the carry strap like my other 1935 1 liter.

This example shows the snap hook rather than the regular hook indicating use by gebirsjäger (mountain troop). This is backed by pictorial evidence, supply logs and wartime illustrations. That being said, it’s seen that medics used these canteens too even if they were originally meant for the gebirsjäger.

Regarding the snap hook, it’s maker marked with an “A” (see the last picture). It’s the first of this maker mark I’ve seen and I cannot find any maker information on it. If someone knows this maker I’d love to hear.

Happy Collecting,
    Bodhi

ESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger LabeflascheESB 35 Gebirsjäger Labeflasche

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ESB 35 Gebirsjäger Labeflasche
    P
    Many

?

Nice one!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

The A is for Assmann (probably the most famous of the lot )!
    Another fine addition, Bodhi!
    All the best,
    Rob

Hello.
    That's once again a very nice water canteen. This specific leather tab with the standard hook stitched in isn't easy at all to find and I wonder if it might not be related to the fact that civilians could make use of the hook for themselves unlike the open and riveted cavalry / medic version ?
    Anyway the very recognizable " A " is indeed from Assmann and can still be seen after 1945 on Bundeswehr, BGS and Bundesheer canteens at the very least.
    Last edited by Edward Lionheart; 05-17-2022 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Poor typing

Thank you gents for the kind words. And Thank you both for the info of that maker mark!

Hello,
    It is a seldom seen and well dated example, congrats and thanks for sharing. What happened to the buckle of the retaining strap for the cup, if my eyes do not lie to me the high part of the buckle is not where it should be.
    I wish i kept the one i used to have. It had not carrying strap as well, not sure it ever had one when in use as it was found directly from an attic with other untouched items.

i'm sure you meant Gebirgstruppe(n) rather than Gebigsjäger, as mountain troops were not "infantry" only...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you JP, not too sure what your asking about the buckle, it seems to match my other two.

Thanks for the correct on gebirsjäger

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Thank you JP, not too sure what your asking about the buckle, it seems to match my other two.
    I think he means the leather is not through the buckle loop before the barb is inserted, but laying on top ..... I guess you did that to not strain the material ( its what I do )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Hello,
    I'm deeply sorry, in fact my eyes lied to me.....the roller of the buckle being of the same black color than the strap, i didn't see it and thought that the buckle was placed under the strap....sorry again, that's a desirable item.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

No worries JP! The roller blends in very well I can see how you would’ve thought that.