Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this A-Frame fake?

Article about: I purchased this A-Frame a few months ago, and since then, a very knowledgeable source in Europe informed me that it was a fake, saying: "I am very sorry to inform you that your a-frame

Default Is this A-Frame fake?

I purchased this A-Frame a few months ago, and since then, a very knowledgeable source in Europe informed me that it was a fake, saying:
    "I am very sorry to inform you that your a-frame isn’t correct
    If you bought it from a dealer, i would return the item.....

Several things are wrong here : wrong straps (for zelt) , the leather piece you mention shouldn’t be there.... wrong d-rings on both sides and top.... just to name a few."

I contacted the seller, also in continental Europe, who also seems to be knowledgeable, and who responded to my concern by saying:
    "Equipment items were manufactured by many manufacturers, some of them in the occupied areas, at the beginning of the war, value was placed on uniform production. But that changed during the war, especially in the last years of the war because many materials were not available, therefore, there are deviations in the production.

Except for things for the SS, here the manufacturers were treated prefer, although there are differences in the production, especially with pieces commissioned by the soldiers themselves,

we got the frame with other field gear and I am sure it is a original piece, I always look for originality and do not buy or sell things that are doubtful."

I've only been collecting Wehrmacht gear for less than a year, so can't gauge the legitimacy of the seller's argument, although it sounds plausible. It is known that shortcuts in manufacturing and the shortage of materials led to variations.

I have compared this A-Frame to some posted online and in books, and it does have variances from what I've researched. Mine has no markings or date to go by.

If this was artificially aged, it was done to perfection, with a smell reminiscent of other very old canvas gear I have, and a cracked dried leather look that's as 'good' as some of my WWI U.S. stuff.

What I'm hoping to learn is, were there variations in manufacture of A-Frames that would support this piece being authentic, even if not correct to original specs.

Thanks in advance for any informed input.Is this A-Frame fake?
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake?  Is this A-Frame fake? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this A-Frame fake?
    P
    Many

Hello,
    I have never seen this variant since i'm collecting german fieldgear.
    Everything is unusual here, D-rings, all straps (holes dont even have the right shape), leather pieces added to the frame.
    In my opinion, even the four metal hooks meant to attach the frame to the Y-straps are weird...
    You should ask for a refund and get a more "typical" one...
    Shortage might have led to variations, yes....but not of that kind....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

The "wear" to those leather pads, whatever they were for looks consistent with them having been rubbed with sandpaper to artificially age them.

Hello
    This A-Frame has nothing to do with the original. Everything that can be, does not correspond to the original (material, hook shape for Y, leather belt, seams, threads, etc.). Do not listen when told that this has happened in the occupied territories or that the lack of material is not true.
    All metal elements always had the same shape.
    First you need to study the topic well or get advice, and then buy.

As i was the first person to give him advice , i want to chime in here as well.....

Like i told you in the mail.... this one is absolutely bad, and the seller should refund you your money!!

I don’t know who the “knowledgeable” dealer is, and we don’t necessarily need to know, unless he refuses to refund you your money...... Any respectable dealer will refund if you are not happy with the item.... and i certainly would not be happy with this a-frame, as it is a 100% bad one.....

Tom

Thank you everyone for your feedback. And yes, I will be more conscientious in the future. On that note, now I'm thinking I need to post pics of a WW2 German flashlight I'm questioning. In the meantime, I've requested a refund from the seller. Will post an update on the result. Thanks again all!

Hello,
    Wise decision to ask for a refund. As mentioned before a more typical A-frame should be more appropriate for a german fieldgear collector, as the one pictured in this thread is only good for reenacting...
    To all members : if it's possible, post prior to the purchase, it's a gain of time and sometimes of money...as getting a refund is sometimes tough when sellers do not respect the habits and customs of our business...
    Below you can see two typical A-frames, "continental" on the left and "tropical" on the right...if it's not made like one of these, don't buy it...post first...
    Double click on the photo for a far better view
    Feel free to open a new thread for your flashlight...
    Thanks

Is this A-Frame fake?

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)