Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?

Article about: Dear all, May I ask you about this Gasmaske/gas mask please? What do you think about? It's authentic from Wehrmacht (Army/Heer)? According to my sources it seems to be a GM-30. Its bottom of

Default Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?

Dear all,

May I ask you about this Gasmaske/gas mask please? What do you think about? It's authentic from Wehrmacht (Army/Heer)? According to my sources it seems to be a GM-30. Its bottom of canister has the punch 'D' for 'dicht' (dense) against water.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 04-21-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?
    P
    Many

It is indeed a GM30. The metal parts are made from a magnetic alloy, thus the blue paint. It was to signify which masks may have interfered with equipment sensitive to magnetic fields, such as compasses.

It looks to be in very good condition, and a bonus that it's matched to the canister. Nice to have the name inside the lid there, too. I have my own GM30 and canister, pre-war and in far worse shape than this set, but with the metal parts painted olive green rather than blue.

The filter is the Fe 41 model.

B.B.

Can't add anything to Brodiebartfasts post. An honest GM30 with filter, spare lenses, I think in the top box. All good.

Fantastic condition, grab it. All good.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your kind evaluations and advices!

May I ask you another question please? This mask seems to be produced in 1943. I thought the GM30 was replaced by the model GM38 but so the GM30 was still produced during WW 2. It's right?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Hi Alter,
    I think that both models were produced until the end of the war, moreover the variant realized in magnetic materials existed for the 30 and for the 38, as you can see from these images.

Regards
    Roberto

Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?Gas mask and canister: Authentic? Wehrmacht?

It wasn't unusual for an earlier model of something to continue production alongside its successive counterpart. Look at the MG34, for example. The MG42 was intended as its replacement, and yet they continued to produce both until the end of the war. Perhaps a side effect of the bureaucratic nightmare that was Nazi Germany.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Perhaps a side effect of the bureaucratic nightmare that was Nazi Germany.

Trust me, the bureaucratic nightmare didn't end in 1945.

Nice number matching GM30

Indeed, the GM30 was still produced in 1945... i got a 45 dated one.... (but still need a 45 dated GM38.... never seen one)

Btw, mask was produced by “flr” which stands for
    Dräger-Gesellschaft mbH, Wien

Snout was produced by “bmw” which stands for
    Aluminiumwerke Nürberg G.m.b.H.

You only need a long strap, spring and “putztuch” to complete it........

Tom