Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip

Article about: Hi all, Yesterday I was cleaning the attic, what resulted in just sorting and enjoying the stored collection goodies. I stumbled on this canister and wanted to show it to you. I still like i

Default Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip

Hi all,

Yesterday I was cleaning the attic, what resulted in just sorting and enjoying the stored collection goodies. I stumbled on this canister and wanted to show it to you. I still like it very much, it is from the days I bought everything I liked and could afford, before specializing in Eiserne Kreuze and Dutch collaboration (NSB etc.).

As you can clearly see there is a Sandtarnung underneath a layer of a variant Feldgrau.
    Maybe it saw action at the southern theater, maybe it never got there and got the additional layer of paint as a reissue.
    I assume all the paint is original. Should you have a different opinion, I am of course interested in your views.

Every time I see it, there is that dilemma: should I carefully remove the upper layer of paint by, for instance, the rather safe copper coin method?
    I think it is a rhetoric question, as I myself always advise not to mess with an item because all the rights and wrongs tell their own story.
    A canister in full sand color just is a little more attractive than the Feldgau. So every time I leave it the way I found it, and I am very happy with the condition it now is in.

But what would you do?

Enjoy your day,
    Martin

Btw Inside of the canister is the standard issue green gray color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip   Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip  

Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip   Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip  

Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip   Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip
    P
    Many

IMO, leave it the way it is, it is all part of it's history.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Agree, this is better left alone, removing paint is removing history.

Thanks! It feels the best way to do so. Glad we think alike!

I have a multi layer painted one also......they keep one intriqued as to what their story was!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip   Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip  

Gasmaskenbehälter / Cannister with ao Sandtarnung - To strip or not to strip  

Yes, these could be brothers! Interesting!
    Any marks on yours? Mine has a D on the bottom, that is all I could discover.

Quote by Martin3 View Post
    Yes, these could be brothers! Interesting!
    Any marks on yours? Mine has a D on the bottom, that is all I could discover.
    There may be marks on the spring catch mechanism or on the spare lenses box lid.

No markings found, just an impressed D at the bottom. I can hardly believe there is not a 3 character code hidden somewhere, but I can not locate it. Not that important, of course. Just a detail!