Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German canteen being offered

Article about: An older gentleman had offered me a canteen. Possibly German. He said it was marked wa hi 38 Looks to be a bit larger than others he had. Is this an m31 ?

Default German canteen being offered

An older gentleman had offered me a canteen. Possibly German. He said it was marked wa hi 38 Looks to be a bit larger than others he had. Is this an m31 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German canteen being offered   German canteen being offered  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German canteen being offered
    P
    Many

Hello, this does look like a regular German 1 liter canteen.

I’d recommend getting some pictures of the markings, they will be on the cup, cap, bottle neck, and inside the cover. Also a picture of the backside would help.

But again, just from these images I don’t see any obvious issues.

I agree with Bodhi - as they were still making these in the late 40's / early 50's, you need to check the date codes...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I agree with Bodhi - as they were still making these in the late 40's / early 50's, you need to check the date codes...
    Ok will try and get with the seller and see if I can find a date code

Quote by chuck303 View Post
    He said it was marked wa hi 38
    Hello.
    I am afraid that this code doesn't match with any known maker.
    If it was to start with W you would have just a few : WWE , W.A.L., WWL, WBL, WBN, WSD.
    It might be a faulty reading of a WAL marking or it could be something totally different, so if you can obtain more details or even a good picture that would help.
    Regarding the model of this canteen I am ashamed to admit that I don't know it, it has existed since at least WW1, but how was it called except Labeflasche ???

Hey Edward,

The model is exactly that! Labeflasche, to be specific it is designated “Labeflasche 31”

Also good to see you active here again!

-Bodhi

Thank you, and it's good to know the exact designation. The oldest I have ever seen was dated 1934 and it unfortunately looked like a wreck.

I’d seen one 1933, fortunately still in good shape.

I also just got my hands on what is believed to be some type of pre-production prototype, it’s marked ESB 29 all over. I’ll share it when it arrives.

A Labeflasche dated 1929 would be most interesting, it would be logical that a type of canteen that existed during WW1 and WW2 was also produced for the Reichswehr, eventhough I suspect that it wasn't at all in great numbers.

Seller sold it before I could get to it. Super bummed out about that one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast