Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Entrenching tools

Article about: Hi could someone hep me identify a few Entrenching tools. the first entrenching tool is clearly marked Fimag 1939 and is really good condition. However the paint is flaking somewhat on on th

Default German Entrenching tools

Hi
    could someone hep me identify a few Entrenching tools.
    the first entrenching tool is clearly marked Fimag 1939 and is really good condition. However the paint is flaking somewhat on on the digging end. Is there a good way to preserve its condition.

The 2 entrenching tools with covers i havent removed them from covers as of yet so am unsure if there are any identifying marks.
    Also on the 2 with covers the leather covers are getting a little dry. should i rub a leather wax into it to preserve the leather? or will this damage the leather cover?

I paid $29usd for each entrenching tool. i purchased 8 entrenching tools in total

I look forward to your feedback on these Entrenching tools and how to preserve them for longer life

1. Fimag 1939

German Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching tools

German Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching tools

German Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching tools

German Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching toolsGerman Entrenching tools

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Entrenching tools
    P
    Many

Hello,
    The first shovel is WWII german and marked for the Wehrmacht Heer (paint not original)
    The second shovel is not WWII german produced but the pressed cardboard cover is...
    Once the paint is cleaned on the first shovel, you should put it in the cardboard cover.

On the third set the cover is marked SA for the finnish army...
    Have a look at the back of riveted shovels for markings
    Thanks

German Entrenching tools
    Last edited by JPhilip; 10-10-2016 at 09:16 PM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

If it wasn't for the strange "lip" on the top of the last shovel, I would have sworn it was a Linnemann shovel.
    The original shovel - the mother of all the small entrenching tools on the entire continent.

But I am positive it isn't. The shovel is however an older model than the other three, as it has the "retaining ring" mounted separate.
    I could be one of the different models of the shovel Linnemann produced at his Austrian plant before WWI, but again I am very reluctant to believe this.

---------------
    A bit of history:
    In 1869 the Danish officer Mads Johan Buch Linnemann "invented" the small shovel all collectors and "fanboys" incorrectly label a German invention. In 1870 it was patented and supplied to the Danish Army, and the following year the Austrian Army adopted the entrenching tool.
    Later Linnemann set up a factory in Vienna to make the tool, and it was later introduced to Germany, France, Romania, Russian, The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and many others. It was used for the first time (extensible) during the First Balkan War of 1912-1913, where it proved a great success. Germany never officially recognised his patent. Neither did France. Only Russia, Denmark and Norway recognised his patent - and paid him the royalties he was entitled to.
    (Source: Nieuwenhuis, Peder (1887–1905), "Johan Linnemann", in: C.F. Bricka (ed.), Dansk Biografisk Lexikon. Copenhagen: Gyldendal)
    --------------

The original 1870 pattern looks like this:
    German Entrenching tools

German Entrenching tools

German Entrenching tools

German Entrenching tools

Default More Entrenching tools

Hi 37Webbing & JPhillip

I have 3 more entrenching tools that im unsure of
    one is definitely german unsure of age or who made it
    The other 2 unsure of what country they from though one has date 1944 and HUS?
    Any help identifying them would greatly be appreciated.

German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools

The folding shovel could be a Dutch model - the German type has a angled fold lock not squared (side pic needed here) Here's my Dutch example

Thanks Reneblacky. What era do you think it is? WW2?
    No markings on it that i can find

I think they are but I'm not expert on these

While I'm here here's shots of my later war non folding - this one has the rounded handle cut for better grip either for digging or hand to hand actions.
    You've done very well from what you've scored there
    Here's a thread that is interesting Question reg. Entrenching Tools...

Quote by NZRelicHunter View Post
    Hi 37Webbing & JPhillip

I have 3 more entrenching tools that im unsure of
    one is definitely german unsure of age or who made it
    The other 2 unsure of what country they from though one has date 1944 and HUS?
    Any help identifying them would greatly be appreciated.

German Entrenching tools

German Entrenching tools

German Entrenching tools
    First one is definitely one of the oldest of the lot, and it is definitely pre-war.
    German entrenching tools were spot-welded from 1934/35 and until 1945.
    Retention ring / "collar" and rivets are both dead giveaways that the tool is older than the 1930s.
    But it is difficult with this type of design, as it was so widely used and copied.

-------------

The second one is difficult as well. The shape reminds me of Russian and other "eastern" nations of the era. It is obviously made during the war. I cannot help but noticing, that in Bulgaria there is currently a steel manufacturing company named HUS Ltd.

-------------
    The third is a Dutch / Belgian entrenching tool from the Cold War.
    The Belgians carried them on the back of modified patt. '37 webbing small packs - in a special "home grown" carrier that looked a bit like the US variant.:
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    German Entrenching tools
    And in use, ca. 1960:
    German Entrenching tools

?

Go to Saddlery or Harness store/shop and ask about Leather Treatments, Neatsfoot Oil, Etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast