Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Nautical sighting equipment

Article about: Hello, asking for information on these nautical pieces. These came from a nautical museum selling off Sextants and other types of U.S. military military targeting equipment. These were the o

Default German Nautical sighting equipment

Hello, asking for information on these nautical pieces. These came from a nautical museum selling off Sextants and other types of U.S. military military targeting equipment. These were the only German pieces that were mixed in the sale.
    Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Bob
    German Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipment

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Nautical sighting equipment
    P
    Many

?

Is that sighting or surveying equipment ?

?

Surveying kit, by the look of it... Very nice.

?

I would say surveying going by the theodolite. Looks quite modern. Don't know if the date is when the patent was made or the date of manufacture.
    Any Third Reich marks on any of it?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Need some better photos really. Don't see any obvious ordnance code markings or a clear date on the plate inside the box lid. Not something we see every day for sure.

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies. I took a good look this morning at the items and did a little online searching. I did not find any markings to the Bismark or Tirpitz or any mark related to a military unit or branch. I did see that there are some items label Nautical level or Theodite's on line but most are reproductions. Not sure how these came to be at the Nautical museum in N.C. These were in a group of U.S. Navy nautical sextants of different eras, but since I had a left bid on the items I was outbid on the U.S. Navy marked pieces but won the bid on these German instruments.German Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipmentGerman Nautical sighting equipment

The theodolite is for land survey. The Zeiss theodolite you have is post WW2 but from the cover looks to be military issue. The instruments used didn’t always have military stamps or markings as it was the same basic instrument used for civilian use as well. I’m not sure what the smaller instrument is but it does have leveling screws so it is for land use as well. Neither item you have is for use at sea. Museums get donated random items all the time that don’t necessarily correlate with the “theme “ of the museum.

1934 dated...
    Attached Images Attached Images German Nautical sighting equipment 

Ok I’m invested now. Glenn you are right I was thinking it may be a patent date but it could be the date of manufacture. I’ve been scouring the web trying to find another one like this and have found similar but not quite the same one. Waiting to see if anyone else can find something if haven’t been able to dig up yet.