Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German shovel and carrier??

Article about: Hi all!! it's been a lon time since i'm looking for a german shovel and carrier for my German mannequin, and i have seen this one, the shovel itself looks german (because of the welding) and

The booklet you mention is very old and contains errors..... and this is one of them..... if I'm not mistaken it is from the 70's......

Anyway, if you want an original shovel, expect to pay 200 - 400 € for it.....

And like I said, if you want a cheaper solution (100-150€) try to get a czech or austrian shovel.....

Like these: (referring to the 2 on the right)

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German shovel and carrier??
    P
    Many

I wont argue with Tom or JP but as this photo shows, in the field German soldiers used what they could. This is one of the rivetted / collared spades generally accepted to be from the occupied countries (or even Russia )
    ... as needs must!!

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German shovel and carrier??  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Dan,

I absolutely agree with you..... many items were used from occupied countries..... also riveted shovels, but the carrier shown in the beginning of this thread, is suspected to be DDR.... and it's save to say these were not used 😉

Tom

The other thing to keep in mind for a display is that carriers were not always used in the field - it was much easier to stick the spaten in your belt ( along with stick grenades ) as a simple means of getting to it in a hurry and probably because the carrier leather would break and then be useless.

There are many photos showing this - do the same with your display and don't worry about finding the exact holder....

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German shovel and carrier??   German shovel and carrier??  

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind for a display is that carriers were not always used in the field - it was much easier to stick the spaten in your belt ( along with stick grenades ) as a simple means of getting to it in a hurry and probably because the carrier leather would break and then be useless.

There are many photos showing this - do the same with your display and don't worry about finding the exact holder....

Cheers, Dan
    Yeah thanks for the advice Dan, i will go that way, put the spaten in the belt and won't worry about the holder. Thanks guys for all the comments!

Just to be clear, I mean no disrespect to either gent by my comments... Jean-Phillip wrote THE book on German equipment and Tom has a great website that all equipment collectors need to visit - both men are experts in their field and we are lucky to have them.

Regards, Dan

Hey Dan

No problem, everybody is entitled to their own opinions..... and everybody collects on his own way.... the only thing i propagate is originality of equipment 😉

I feel in no way offended 😁

Cheers
    Tom

Hello,
    What photos dont show is that soldiers with the shovel stuck into the belt also carry an empty carrier at the rear...

All that matters is what you want to do with your collection, what direction you want to take ?
    In my opinion, better for you to save your money for some time and wait for an original and affordable carrier. It will be far more satisfying for you.
    Patience is a key word in this hobby, it's sometimes more important than money...

have a look to this link....the carrier is nice and not expensive...all you have to add is a WWII german shovel....and Tralala....it's done....

http://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=3333

Thanks
    Last edited by JPhilip; 11-26-2016 at 04:01 PM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you very much for the wise advice Jean-Phillip totally agree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2