Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HRE 33 canteen markings

Article about: I found this canteen and I am stumped on the markings, of course I’ve seen HRE and know the date. But the RBD STGT have me lost, are they markings for a organization? Like how we see the D

Default HRE 33 canteen markings

I found this canteen and I am stumped on the markings, of course I’ve seen HRE and know the date. But the RBD STGT have me lost, are they markings for a organization? Like how we see the DRP marking on canteens. I have also not seen the square cut end of the strap where it meets the cap. Apologies for the terrible quality pictures it’s the best I can get from the site.

The canteen itself has a potentially matching cover but has been mismatched with a Bakelite cup, unfortunately I have no pictures of the inside of the cover.

Thank you for any help,
    Bodhi

HRE 33 canteen markingsHRE 33 canteen markings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HRE 33 canteen markings
    P
    Many

This is the only good picture that shows everything and gives a look at the whole canteen, again very poor quality.

HRE 33 canteen markings

?

Railways from Stuttgart?

I will take better quality pictures when it arrives (will probably take a while). I will also replace the Bakelite cup with a unmarked black aluminum cup so it will at least look the part until I can complete it or upgrade it.

Thank you again!

?

Hello,
    RBD =Reichs Bahn Direktion
    STGT = Stuttgart
    HRE =Heinrich Ritter, Esslingen for the year of production 1933..

Best regards,
    The kabl

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    I will also replace the Bakelite cup with a unmarked black aluminum cup so it will at least look the part until I can complete it or upgrade it.

Thank you again!
    I am not expert in these so just for my benefit, is the bakelite cup not correct? I have a couple acquired along the way with other items that are quite early and have either bakelite of aluminium cups.
    I always thought that the bakelite was the first version that was superceeded by the aluminium or was it the other way around?

Always keen to learn even with items that are not quite "centre stream" of my interests because I like to study all militaria to varying degrees!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

For sure the Bakelite beaker is later than 1933.

Thank you for the help Kabl,

Mark, the Bakelite cups first made an appearance in 1940 I believe, canteens like this should have a black painted aluminum cup.

Hello.
    1940 is indeed the earliest date of appearance for black bakelite cups, and there are not that many that have survived.
    The hook seems to be a narrow model, but regarding the cover not much can be said except that it seems correct with thick felt and brass buttons.

My thoughts exactly on the cover, it appears to have a good chance at matching so I went ahead and bought it in the hopes it’s 1933 dated and marked, as far as I’m aware 1933 is as early as we have seen for covers so it will be a nice addition, if it’s matching of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast