Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

I found something interesting written on a pair of german binoculars

Article about: Fellows, I recently purchased a pair of German Hensoldt Wetzler binoculars with an interesting inscription. The inscription on the front reads: Inscription: Geburtstagsgeschenk der Sektion I

Default I found something interesting written on a pair of german binoculars

Fellows,
    I recently purchased a pair of German Hensoldt Wetzler binoculars with an interesting inscription. The inscription on the front reads:
    Inscription: Geburtstagsgeschenk der Sektion I fur B.H. I zum18.10.1935
    Translation: Birthday present from Section I for B.H. I on October 18, 1935
    My research, or opinion, on the inscription, is as follows:
    In 1935, the Abwehr, German military intelligence, was divided into three sections:
    I. Reconnaissance
    II.Cipher and Radio monitoring
    III. Counterespionage

Could these binoculars have been given, as a present by his unit, Section I, to B.H. ? This would be an appropriate gift for someone in military reconnaissance. And the fact that the binoculars are 8 x 30, not 6 x 30, which was the standard magnification for field operations. Someone with his job could surely use more powerful glasses for observation.
    Also the ‘I’or ‘L’ after the initials B.H., could that stand for Leutnant ?

As I might be stretching things, I would appreciate any and all opinions about what the inscription means. thank you for taking the time to read this. Below are some pictures of the binoculars.
    I found something interesting written on a pair of german binocularsI found something interesting written on a pair of german binocularsI found something interesting written on a pair of german binoculars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I found something interesting written on a pair of german binoculars
    P
    Many

Hello AJ...clearer photos of the inscription would be beneficial to help determine translation and authenticity for the community.
    Please provide this

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi there,

Really nice binoculars, the inscription definitely makes these stand out.

My guess would be that these were presented to someone on the anniversary of a units creation or something along those lines.

The I normally means 1, II normally means 2 and so on,

So Section I could be 1st section.
    B. H. I, could be 1st Battalion, or could be an abbreviation of a type of Regiment.

Possibly Bataillon hauptquartier?

Just my thoughts and hope this helps.

need to see more on these, non military pressed into service?

Default a maybe clearer shot of the inscription.

This is the best I could do with my phone camera. All this inscription on a disc that is only 20mm across. Hope it helps.
    I found something interesting written on a pair of german binoculars

got any maker marks? central focus binos are usually civil

Nice birthday present.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

just ' Hensoldt Wetzler", 'Telgon' 8 . 30, 8x, and a serial number. Since they were a birthday present I would think they may be a civilian purchase, especially since they had them engraved with the message.

Yea, my birthday too!

Some good theories here Willmore. It does make a lot of sense. If presented to a battalion headquarters as you suggested, I would think that there would be more equipment than just one pair of binoculars. Wouldn't think you would make such a presentation to a headquarters with just one pair of binoculars. A crate of them maybe? From the inscription, one would think that this presentation was some sort of big deal.