Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'

Article about: Hello folks. Another eBay buy. Very pleased with this one! This is something my collection has been missing for some time. An example of the M31 'Feldflasche', the standard-issue canteen of

B.B. Oh, my. I am guilty of using original items and cleaning them up for use in re-enacting! This was around 1995 - not the 70s. I have photos of reenactors from the 70s in all original gear - it is quite frightening! Up until recently, I was using an original 1 liter canteen in the field. NH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'
    P
    Many

PM Sent about a deal that may benefit the both of us.

?

Sorry for interrupt in such old topic, but... Could there have been steel hooks in 1940? At that time, Germany did not suffer from Al deficiency, in my opinion

Quote by steger View Post
    Sorry for interrupt in such old topic, but... Could there have been steel hooks in 1940? At that time, Germany did not suffer from Al deficiency, in my opinion
    No apologies are necessary ...any questions that will advance the thread topic are always welcome

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Perfectly good question Steger, no need to apologize.

The transition from aluminum hooks to steel hooks happened around 1939-1940. So a steel hook on a 1940 canteen is totally normal to see.

Quote by steger View Post
    Hello,
    Yes there are steel hooks from 1940. In that year the equipment of the Landser received economy measures, mainly to save aluminium for more important use (like airplanes) and leather. Due to the maker's inertia, some prewar productions were not discontinued before early 1941. Buckle, belt hook, ammo pouches, Y-straps, Zeltbahn, bayonet frog, Brotbeutel, canteen etc....almost all the impedimenta was impacted by these economy measures. In fact, all started in 1939 with the shortening of the Marschstiefel to save leather, the authorities also decided to replace high boots with ankle boots as soon as 1940, but could not do so due to the victories in western Europe and the prestige linked to this emblematic feature of the german soldier, the Marschstiefel. So they waited until 1941 to partially remove them from some branches of service and in September 1944 it is said that they would not be produced anymore, the units still wearing them have to live on their own stock until they run out of dice cones...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2