Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The M31 Canteen and its Variants

Article about: The M31 Canteen and its Variants Because of my growing knowledge and interest in canteens I would like to create this thread to help anyone with questions about canteens, and I would like an

?

Nice canteens.
    I couldn't copy and paste the SMM information but it is in this listing M42 Canteen – SMM 45 – fjm44

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The M31 Canteen and its Variants
    P
    Many

Thanks for sharing those canteens, really like that SMM 36 a killer example. Kateri already helped you out but just in case that link ever goes out SMM - Süddeutsche Metallwarenfabrik Mussbach

Here is a excellent condition example of a pre war M31 canteen, I know there’s already plenty of these canteens on this thread but I thought I’d add this to have another maker and date.

Fully matching and made by CFL (Carl Feldhaus, Aluminium und Metallwarenfabrik, Lüdenscheid) in 1938. This example shows the later type of aluminum snap hook with a thicker base, this type I believe was introduced in 1937 and was used until steel replaced aluminum around 1940

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    In this last photo you can see the thicker base on the Aluminium snap hook. Compare it to snap hooks on pre 1937 canteens to see the difference.

Here is another late war example to add some diversity to the thread.

This example shows a black Bakelite cup and cap, lower quality textured leather marked with RBNr number 0/0656/0005, a simplified cover made from erstaz with three closing clips instead of four, steel hardware including a green/gray painted steel snap hook, and a red painted steel bottle marked to MN and dated 1944.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

?

Really nice examples in your last two posts.
    Thanks for the great pictures.
    Your 1944 dated flask is a time capsule.

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    In this last photo you can see the thicker base on the Aluminium snap hook. Compare it to snap hooks on pre 1937 canteens to see the difference.
    Hello.
    This statement is true, but some exceptions can yet be observed. The thinner type of hook was not replaced immediately by the the ticker one. When I'll be able to forage in my stuff again I'll check my canteens, but I think that the thin hook was still used in 1939.
    Things are rather simple with army canteens but not for the WW1 style ones used by the SA, HJ, etc which can show crude ersatz WW1 steel hooks, Reichswehr style hooks, the thin and thick M31, and a few other variations used in the civilian market.

I’d be very interested to see that example of a thinner hook on a 39, the latest I’d seen so far is 38. I say to compare to pre 37 just because it’s a sure fire way to see a thinner hook type.

Unfortunately I won't be able to search for it before Spring, but I will keep looking for other potential examples nonetheless.

Smile

Finally got round to typing this one out.

Here is a mint condition example of a mid war 1 liter canteen. All matching and made by Carl Feldhaus, Aluminium und Metallwarenfabrik, Lüdenscheid in 1941 (CFL 41). Using a black bakelite cup and a bakelite cap, blackened leather both flat and pebbled, and light gray painted steel hardware.

We can see on this example it has the same strap setup as a regular capacity canteen and not the cage style straps. We can assume this was to make production faster and consume less resources (although we still see the cage system used throughout the war).

A few extra pointers for this example is the lather strap setup has been placed on backwards, I am confident this is how it left the factory so I have left it as is. Also it still retains it’s matching belt loop something we only see on canteens that are untouched from the box as most have had this loop separated when used.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

Hello.
    I really don't think that this type of canteen was meant to be an ersatz version of the cavalry / medic model.
    At first they look more like a simplified version of the mountain troops canteen, and both the cavalry / medic leather craddle and the cavalry / medic cup were produced more or less in the same way until the last days of the war.
    I don't think that the explanation might be that some factories were too lazy to follow the new time and ressources saving schematics to pieces of gear they already produced, but rather that the truncated cone aluminium cup and the leather " cage " craddle were seen as specific to certain users that were not so numerous that it was still possible to manufacture their gear without modifying it too much.
    Leather and felt were of poorer quality, press studs followed the same (d)evolution that occured on regular canteens, buckles lost their rollers, straps were shorter and narrower than before, and yet the craddle, the cover with its rear reinforcement and the truncated cone cup ( now rather poorly finished ) continued to exist.
    This being saidthere are somevariations that doesn't seem to fit fit in any known category, like this one that has been puzzling me for long :

The guy is obviously a medic, he has a medic canteen but with a bakelite cup, and his canteen shows not a removable metal hook riveted on a leather loop, but a standard M31 hook sewn on the craddle...
    I own a late war canteen showing the very same construction, and so far it's the only one I have seen made like that ?!?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast