Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

The M31 Canteen and its Variants

Article about: The M31 Canteen and its Variants Because of my growing knowledge and interest in canteens I would like to create this thread to help anyone with questions about canteens, and I would like an

This piece makes a good example of a field overpainted cup. It is a regular early M31 canteen, all matching and made by CFL36 or Carl Feldhaus, Aluminium und Metallwarenfabik, Lüdenscheid in 1936.

The cup which would have come out the factory in black was brush painted over with a thick layer of green paint. Likely done in the field after it was instructed in 1941 that canteen cups and messkits must be painted in olive green.
    The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

Here is a comparison between the repainted example (left) and a factory painted example (right). You can see the factory paint under the overpaint and the brush strokes are visible.
    The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The M31 Canteen and its Variants
    P
    Many

Below is an example of a “Coconut Canteen” this example shows the use of a brown colored bakelite cup. The canteen is dated 1943 and the hardware dated 1944. The webbing straps are all green rather than the usual tan. The cup is maker marked “46” to Erich Wippermann, Halver i. Westf. The type is marked with “S” for bakelite with sawdust as a filler.
    The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

Hello there!

I have a question as some here seem to have in-depth knowledge about the M1 canteen.

I have two examples with unmarked studs on the cover. (see pictures, both original stamped aluminium canteens and caps)
    Are those Wehrmacht examples?
    No readable/visible markings on the inside either.

On these websites they appear to be period productions, but I'm not sure.

M42 unmarked canteen with gabardine cover – fjm44

https://www.warsendshop.com/products...een-enamel-cup

I'd be happy to find out.

All the best!
    0.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

The studs without any pattern is completely normal, I’ve seen earliest it on a canteen dated 1939 and from there until 1945.

The canteen you show first (with the cup) is likely all wartime Wehrmacht from what I see just some broken straps.

The second canteen is by the looks of it either political or civil and missing the straps, but again seems period correct.

That's interesting.
    Thanks for the reply!
    0.S.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9